List of September & October bike events in and near Somerville

  • Ron Newman
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 21, 2012

      This is a list of bicycle-related events taking place this fall in Somerville and neighboring communities. I've also put this list on the web at http://bostoncycling.livejournal.com/105321.html .  Please send me any additions or corrections (or leave them as comments on the LiveJournal page).  I'll try to keep the web version of this list up-to-date.

      Saturday, September 8, starting at 9 am:  Mystic River Watershed Association's Meet Me At The Mystic festival, primarily a kayak and canoe event, will also include a bicycle tour.   All events start at the Mystic Lakes Dam (which separates Upper and Lower Mystic Lakes) in Medford.

      Saturday, September 8, 5-9 pmSpokes 2012 bike festival in Union Square, Somerville, preceded by a Tasting Tour at 3 pm, and followed by a SCUL mission at 9 pm (civilians invited).  A Somerville Arts Council ArtsUnion production.
      Saturday, September 15: Fay, Spofford and Thorndike "Bike Fest" in Malden. There will be a ribbon-cutting for the Malden section of the Northern Strand Trail, around 9 am, and a cook-out at 11 am .  I don't yet know the location of this event.  Watch BikeToTheSea.com for updates.
      Saturday, September 15:  Harbor-to-Bay Bike Ride for AIDS - Boston to Provincetown.
      Saturday, September 22, 10 am:  Medford History Bike Tour: Oldest Trees in Medford.  Meet at Whole Foods,  2151 Mystic Valley Parkway (Route 16).  Free for Medford Historical Society members, $5 for everyone else.
      Saturday, September 22, noon to 5:30 pm:  TD Bank Mayor's Cup bike race on streets surrounding Boston City Hall Plaza
      Sunday, September 23, 8 am: Hub On Wheels -  huge 50-mile bike ride (with shorter options), starting at Boston City Hall.
      SaturdaySeptember 29, 9 am:  Middlesex Canal historic bike tour, an annual event usually led by Dick Bauer, Bill Kuttner, and Robert Winters.  Starts at Sullivan Square station in Charlestown, passing through Somerville and Medford on the way to North Billerica and Lowell.  Cyclists return to Medford or Boston by MBTA commuter train.   Information should eventually be available at MiddlesexCanal.org, though I don't see any yet.
      Sunday, September 30, 1 pm:   Cambridge Bow Tie Bike Tour, starting at the Cambridge Main Library park on Broadway.  More info will be posted to  CambridgeBikes.org as the ride date gets closer.
      SundayOctober 7, noon:  HONK! Festival Parade to "Reclaim the Streets for Horns, Bikes and Feet”, from Davis Square to Harvard Square Oktoberfest.  Watch http://honkfest.org/schedule/ for updates.
      Saturday, October 13, 10 am: Somerville Edge of the City Tour (the Somerville Bicycle Committee's 20th annual Tour de Somerville), starting at Seven Hills Park in Davis Square
      Sunday, October 14:  Bike To the Sea's Fall Colors ride.  No details available yet; watch BikeToTheSea.com for updates.
      Saturday, October 27: Tour de Graves - bike tour of historic cemeteries.   Led by Dick Bauer.  No details available yet.