Chair art on bikeway in Arlington

  • kenmedford
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2012
      If you are on the Minuteman Bikeway this week, stop off at Lake Street to see Arlington Public Art's fundraising exhibit: "Chairful Where You Sit."

      To help raise $8,000 for the Arlington Boys & Girls Club to install high school students' murals by Spy Pond, APA's Adria Arch has rallied more than 30 local artists to work in a medium that merges painting, ceramics, mosaics and sculpture: chairs.

      The transformed pieces of furniture are arranged in a pattern, chained together to deter thieves, and left outside through Sunday. APA staff will be on site from 3-6 p.m. each day to guide visitors who may wish to buy one to support public art in Arlington.

      It's the first temporary public art installation on the bike path in its 20 years of existence.

      "Works by Cyrus Dallin are all over the place, but since then we haven't had contemporary outdoor public art," Arch said. "I think [outdoor art] makes the quality of life for everyone better. It brings some joy to people's lives and brightens their day-to-day commute to work or school."

      More information:

      http://www.chairful.blogspot.com/