MBTA working to accommodate bike commuters

  • kenmedford
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2011
      By Kiana Sarabia Strayhorn
      Boston University Daily Free Press

      In an effort to make public transportation more accessible, the
      Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority is striving to accommodate Boston cyclists, an MBTA official said at a public meeting in the College of Arts and Sciences on Tuesday night.

      MBTA Project Director Erik Scheier said the MBTA is adding bike-parking stations for cyclists in 95 percent of commuter rail stations and equipping 70 percent of busses with bike racks

      "Oftentimes we're so worried about trains and buses, we forget about other modes of transportation," Scheier said.

      More than half of the bus routes in the city have buses with racks for cyclists, Scheier said. The MBTA will have buses on all routes geared with bike racks for commuters by 2012 to help keep cyclists safe as well as boosting revenue.

      Six more Pedal and Park cages are scheduled for construction by early fall in locations such as South Station, Davis Square, Oak Grove and Ashmont, Scheier said.

      Article link:

      http://bit.ly/hvb6e2