478National Train Day Ride Saturday May 10th

  • Ken Krause
    Apr 26 5:50 PM

      From: dick.bauer@... [mailto:dick.bauer@...] On Behalf Of Dick Bauer
      Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 7:55 PM
      To: Dick Bauer
      Subject: National Train Day Ride Saturday May 10th

      The Boston Cyclists Union Presents:

      6th Annual National Train Day Ride

      What: To celebrate National Train Day, we will explore parts of the former Old Colony Railroad.

      http://www.lightlink.com/sglap3/massachusetts/northabingtoncolpost1a.jpgThe second half of the Nineteenth Century was a time of fierce competition between railroads, followed by gradual consolidation.  The Old Colony Railroad was itself a consolidation of several smaller railroads.  It eventually became part of the New York, New Haven, and Hartford Railroad at the end of the 1800’s.  Today, parts of these old railroads are used by the MBTA and some by AMTRAK or CSX, while the rest has been abandoned.

      But there is still a lot to see, and along the way we will stop at a number of old railroad stations, including two designed by one of the most important architects of the late 19th Century, Bradford Lee Gilbert (who designed the second Grand Central Station and is credited with the first steel-framed skyscraper in the world).

      When and Where: Meet Saturday May 10, 2014, at 8:15 AM at South Station.  Make sure that you leave enough time to buy your ticket and get onto the train to Bridgewater by 8:30!

      http://www.lightlink.com/sglap3/massachusetts/bridgewatercolpost%2707a.JPGThe route is about 25 miles and most of it is pretty flat and level.  We will average about 5 miles per hour, so the ride should be an easy one for most cyclists.  We’ll stop to look a stations in Bridgewater, Hanson, North Abington, and Weymouth.  We’ll make a stop for lunch and will finish mid-to-late afternoon, probably around 4:00.  After the ride, we will take the Red Line back to South Station. Helmets required. Steady rain cancels.

      For more information contact Dick Bauer 857-540-6293  <dick.bauer@...>

      Printable Poster

      http://bostoncyclistsunion.org

      http://baystatebikeweek.org/events/6th-annual-national-train-day-ride/