412Medford Author Event and Bike Ride, Saturday

  • Bruce Kulik
    Jul 14, 2013
      Next Saturday, July 20, there will be an author event at the Bestsellers
      Cafe in Medford, followed by an adventurous bike ride to points in
      Middlesex Fells, and along Spot Pond.

      David V. Herlihy and Heather Andersen will be at the cafe from 1:00pm to
      2:30pm to talk about their respective books, "The Lost Cyclist: The Epic
      Tale of an American Adventureer and His Mysterious Disappearance", and
      "I Never Intended To Be Brave: A Woman's Bicycle Journey Through
      Southern Africa". The talks will be followed by informal questions and
      book signings.

      Then, at 3:00pm, we will go on an adventure of our own, leaving from
      Bestsellers to go to Wright's Tower, an old railroad trestle, and Bear
      Hill Tower, all in the Middlesex Fells. We will follow that with a stop
      along Spot Pond, and return through Medford's Fulton Heights
      neighborhood. The ride will be about 10 miles, but will probably take 2
      - 2-1/2 hours with stops.

      The overall route can be seen here: http://goo.gl/maps/RES3I.

      Note that the primary route will be on fire roads within the Middlesex
      Fells, which can be rough at places. A hybrid bike or sturdy touring
      bike with 35mm wheels is recommended. An alternative route will avoid
      the worst of the fire roads, but will still have substantial travel and
      smoother dirt roads. Use thin racing tires are your peril.

      For more information about the event at Bestsellers, see:
      http://www.bestsellers-cafe.com/event/author-event-david-v-herlihy
      (http://bit.ly/12OFp0u)

      Please contact me directly with questions.
      Bruce Kulik
      Medford, MA