Harry Truman's Meatloaf

  • Jamie Rahm
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2001
      Cook's Corner
      HARRY TRUMAN'S MEATLOAF

      Wednesday, December 15, 1999 / The Columbus (OH) Dispatch

      HARRY TRUMAN'S MEATLOAF

      For J.M. I found this in an unusual cookbook called First Ladies
      Cookbook: Favorite Recipes of All the Presidents of the United
      States. I have not tried the recipe, but it is listed as Harry
      Truman's favorite. He preferred that it be served with mashed
      potatoes and gravy and green peas.

      Loaf
      2 lbs. ground beef
      2 egg yolks
      1/4 cup minced parsley
      2 tablespoons butter
      1/4 cup bread crumbs
      2 tablespoons chili sauce
      2 teaspoons salt
      2 teaspoons pepper
      1 teaspoon onion juice

      Basting Sauce
      1/2 cup butter, melted
      1 cup boiling water
      Canned tomato sauce
      Parsley sprigs
      Radish roses

      Heat oven to 350.

      Combine ingredients for the Loaf. Butter a loaf pan, form the meat
      mixture into a loaf and place into the pan. Bake 1 hour.

      Meanwhile, combine butter and boiling water and baste loaf frequently
      with this mixture.

      Heat tomato sauce and serve it on the side. Garnish loaf with parsley
      sprigs and radish roses.

      Alice L. Gosztyla

      Gahanna

      Editor's note: Thanks to all readers who sent in this recipe. Jean
      Wildman of Dublin called it "The Buck Stops Here Meatloaf.''