OLD-FASHIONED POT PIE

  • Jamie Rahm
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2001
      OLD-FASHIONED POT PIE
      Aug. 11, 1999 / The Columbus, OH, Dispatch

      For R.B., Port Richey, Fla. This recipe was handed down from my
      grandmother. She called it Slippery Pot Pie. I prepared and served it
      each week for 32 years when I was head cook at Kenny's Cafeteria in
      Lancaster, Ohio. It was a favorite of the clientele.

      4 cups beef or chicken broth
      1 cup sliced potatoes
      1/4 cup chopped onion
      1 teaspoon salt
      2 cups cubed cooked beef or chicken

      Dough
      3 cups flour
      cup vegetable shortening, such as Crisco
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      Milk

      Combine broth, potatoes, onion and salt. Cook until potatoes are tender.

      Meanwhile, prepare Dough: Blend flour, shortening and salt as you
      would to make pie dough. Add enough milk to make a dough soft enough
      to roll out. Roll thin and cut into squares.

      Add desired meat to the broth. Bring to a boil and add the pieces of
      dough, a few at a time. Cook 20- 30 minutes, until tender.

      Mildred Ford
      Lancaster, Ohio