Crockpot Turkey Breast

  • Jamie Rahm
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2001
      Crock-Pot Turkey Breast
      Desperation Dinners
      Published August 2, 2001

      Beverly Mills and Alicia Ross
      United Feature Syndicate

      TURKEY IN A POT IS JUST DUCKY

      At Susie Watts' Orlando home Thursday nights are crock-pot nights:
      "That's the night we all go in different directions, so it's very
      busy for us," she says. "Plus, my mother recently had a stroke, so I
      take half of whatever I make to my parents, and everyone at my house
      gets a good, hot meal regardless of schedule."

      Susie contacted us after we mentioned in passing that we like to cook
      still-frozen turkey breasts in the slow cooker. Like a lot of other
      readers, Susie demanded the details.

      We're featuring a recipe for a basic slow-cooker turkey breast. A
      family of four can eat half the breast the first night. The leftover
      meat can be frozen for later, or you can give it to family or
      friends. Next week, we'll share our super-easy recipe for Turkey
      Dinner Nachos.

      Today's recipe is basic because the leftover meat will be used again.
      We like to season our turkey breasts by sprinkling 1 tablespoon dried
      herbes de Provence or Italian seasoning over the meat along with the
      salt and pepper.

      If your cooker is smaller than 5 quarts, a large breast may not fit
      inside the container. Substitute a 5-pound breast, or thaw the meat
      before cooking.

      CROCK-POT TURKEY BREAST
      Yield: 4 servings.
      Start to finish: 10 minutes preparation, plus 9 to 10 hours unattended cooking.

      6- to 6 1/2-pound turkey breast, frozen (see note)
      2 teaspoons vegetable oil
      Salt and black pepper to taste
      1 medium-size onion
      4 garlic cloves

      1. Rinse the turkey and pat it dry with paper towels. Rub the turkey
      all over with the oil. Sprinkle the breast lightly with salt and
      pepper to personal preference.

      2. Place the breast, meaty side up, into a 5-quart slow cooker.

      3. Peel the onion, cut it into quarters, and place the pieces around
      the edges of the pot. Peel the garlic cloves and place them around
      the sides of the cooker. Cover the cooker and cook the breast on low
      for 9 hours, or until a meat thermometer registers 170 F. Remove the
      breast from the cooker and let the bird stand at least 10 minutes
      before slicing. (The internal temperature will continue to rise while
      the bird is standing.)

      4. Discard the vegetables in the cooker. Serve half the breast
      sliced, preferably without the skin.

      5. Reserve the remaining breast half for use in next week's recipe
      for Turkey Dinner Nachos as follows: Discard the turkey skin. Remove
      the breast meat from the bone and coarsely chop. You should have
      about 31/2 cups. Place the meat in a freezer-weight plastic bag and
      freeze for up to 2 weeks.

      Recipe note: Serves 4, with half the meat remaining for another use.
      If the turkey breast is not frozen, check for doneness (170 F) with a
      meat thermometer after 71/2 to 8 hours of cooking on low. Be sure to
      wash your hands well with soap and hot water immediately after
      handling raw poultry. Also, wash the sink and any counter surfaces
      the meat touches with soap and hot water. The remaining turkey breast
      half can be refrigerated, covered, for 24 hours before chopping the
      meat and freezing.

      Nutrition information per serving without skin

      Calories326Fat3 gCarbohydrate0 g

      Cholesterol194 mgSodium122 mgProtein70 g