Viener Backhendl: Fried Chicken

  • Jamie Rahm
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2001
      Viener Backhendl: Fried Chicken
      Recipe courtesy Wolfgang Puck
      TVFN, Wolfgang Puck, Show #WP1B07: Home Cooking with Mom in Austria

      In Vienna, fried chicken is always served with a salad of mixed
      greens, cucumbers, tomatoes, potatoes, etc. I must say, as a kid, I
      preferred mashed potatoes.

      1 (2 1/2 pound) chickens
      Salt and pepper
      Vegetable oil, for frying
      2 cups flour
      3 eggs
      4 cups panko or bread crumbs
      1 cup parsley leaves
      2 lemons

      Cut each chicken into 8 pieces. Remove the skin but not the bones.
      Season generously with salt and pepper.

      Heat vegetable oil to 300 degrees F. On 3 separate soup plates, put
      the flour, eggs and bread crumbs, and dip all chicken pieces first in
      flour, then eggs, and finally bread crumbs. Shake off excess crumbs.

      Fry chicken pieces for about 12 to 14 minutes until nice and brown.
      Drain on paper towels.

      Fry the parsley for about 30 seconds. Remove, drain on paper towels,
      and sprinkle over chicken.

      Divide onto 4 plates. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with half a lemon.

      Yield: 4 servings
      Prep Time: 10 minutes
      Cook Time: 15 minutes
      Difficulty: Medium