Slow-Cooked Moussaka

  • Jamie Rahm
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2001
      Baton Rouge Advocate

      Published on 11/1/01

      What a Crock
      Give slow cooking international flair with this tasty version of moussaka

      Related Recipe:
      Slow-cooked moussaka Marion Sotile is a slow-cooking fan who loves
      the Greek dish moussaka. Recently, she asked me if there was any
      reason why the recipe couldn?t be adapted to slow cooking.

      Her favorite Greek restaurant had given her the basic ingredients,
      and she asked me to experiment. I don?t know if the following will be
      exactly as she imagined, but my family enjoyed the final results.

      While Sotile?s list of ingredients did not include ground beef, the
      dish is typically layered with sliced eggplant and either ground lamb
      or beef.

      Variations often call for adding onions, artichokes, tomatoes or potatoes.

      Slow Cooker

      @@@@@
      Slow-cooked moussaka

      1 large eggplant, peeled
      1 lb. ground beef
      1 (14 1/2-oz.) can diced tomatoes
      1 onion, sliced
      5 cloves garlic
      1 green bell pepper, sliced
      1 (8-oz.) can tomato sauce
      1 tsp. black pepper
      4 ozs. Garlic and Herb Feta cheese

      Brown ground beef over medium-high heat; drain and set aside. Peel
      and slice eggplant and place in slow cooker. Add ground beef and all
      other ingredients except cheese. Cook on Low for 6-8 hours. Spoon
      servings onto plates and sprinkle with flavored feta cheese. Serves
      4-6.

      ? Julie Kay

      Give slow cooking international flair with this tasty version of moussaka.