HOUCHRON 2000/1004: Casserole will Feed Crowd

  • Jamie Rahm
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2001
      Oct. 3, 2000, 10:39AM

      FAVORITE RECIPE

      Casserole will feed crowd

      This recipe was given to me in Ohio by a friend. If any is left after
      a meal, it can be served in sandwiches later. If the cubed bread is
      omitted, the casserole can be prepared the same day, but be sure to
      use a smaller pan. You can freeze this recipe. -- Lorena Stanislaw

      Reuben Casserole

      1 cup sour cream
      1 can (14 to 16 ounces) sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
      1 medium onion, chopped
      1 pound deli corned beef, thinly sliced, crumbled or shredded
      1 pound Swiss cheese, grated
      6 to 8 slices rye bread, cubed
      1 stick butter, melted ( 1/2 cup)

      In a large bowl, mix sour cream, sauerkraut, onion, corned beef and
      cheese. Layer bread cubes in a 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking pan. Pour
      sour cream mixture evenly over bread. Melt butter and drizzle over
      casserole. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

      Remove from refrigerator. If casserole is in a ceramic or glass dish,
      allow to sit 30 minutes before heating. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
      Bake casserole, covered, 45 minutes. Uncover and continue baking 15
      minutes. Makes 12 to 15 servings.

      Serving suggestion: Serve this casserole with prepared hot mustard,
      rye bread, German potato salad and steamed red cabbage.