Pumpkin-Shrimp Bisque & Garlic Shrimp (XP)

  • listmoms@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , May 8 10:58 PM
      For shrimp lovers, bisque and garlic sauce Recipe Finder

      By Ellen Hawks
      Sun Staff

      Shrimp -- one of America's favorite crustaceans -- is the subject of two
      recipe requests.

      Bonnie C. Dunnigan of Finksburg wrote that she had a delicious cup of
      pumpkin-shrimp bisque at Rudy's 2900 Restaurant last year and was looking
      for a similar recipe. Beth Hunter of Timonium sent in her version, saying:
      "This recipe has been adapted from the `New York Times International
      Cookbook.' I hope this is the one she is seeking."

      Stacey Politzer of Baltimore wanted a recipe for shrimp in garlic sauce
      that is similar to the one served at Tio Pepe restaurant. Her answer came
      from Ellen Booker of Crofton, who wrote her recipe was created by her
      sister. "My husband and I have tested many recipes as we attempted to
      re-create this dish, but I have to admit my sister's is the best
      duplication we have tried."

      Pumpkin-Shrimp Bisque
      Serves 8

      6 quarts water
      2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
      1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp
      7 tablespoons butter
      6 green onions, chopped
      1 cup chopped onion
      3 cups pumpkin puree
      6 cups chicken stock
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
      1 cup light cream
      croutons, for garnish
      freshly grated nutmeg, for garnish

      Bring water and Old Bay to a boil in a large Dutch oven; add shrimp and
      return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes. Drain well; discard
      liquid. Rinse shrimp with cold water. Peel and devein. Chill until needed.

      Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a large saucepan. Saute the green onion
      and onion until soft and golden. Add the pumpkin, chicken stock, salt and
      reserved shrimp. Bring to a boil, stirring, then simmer 10 minutes. Blend
      in small batches in a food processor or blender until smooth. Return soup
      to the pan.

      Knead the flour with 2 tablespoons of butter and gradually add to the soup
      while beating with a whisk. Bring the soup to a boil, whisking until it
      thickens. Correct the seasoning, then add the light cream and remaining
      tablespoon of butter. Garnish with freshly grated nutmeg and croutons.

      Tester Laura Reiley's comments: "The flavor of shrimp is very subtle in
      this rich soup. Be sure to use plain, unspiced pumpkin puree. The organic
      brands tend to be the simplest, least artificial tasting and are available
      in most stores. The texture is plush and decadent, but it might be improved
      if a handful of the shrimp were kept aside to garnish the finished bowls of
      soup. I don't think the nutmeg is really necessary; it brings it perilously
      close to pumpkin pie flavoring."

      Garlic Shrimp
      Serves 6-8 as an appetizer

      1 tablespoon olive oil
      3/4 cup onion, finely chopped
      4 garlic cloves, minced
      1 tablespoon flour
      1 tablespoon tomato paste
      1 tablespoon Italian or flatleaf parsley, chopped
      1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
      1 teaspoon gumbo file powder
      4 cups broth (use water the shrimp were steamed in and then add chicken
      stock to measure 4 cups)
      2 pounds steamed shrimp, shells removed

      In oil, saute onion and garlic until soft. Add flour and lightly brown. Add
      remaining ingredients, except shrimp. Stir until thick. Add shrimp. Serve
      with baguette.

      Tester Reiley's comments: "I would use half as much liquid. Two cups,
      simmered in the onion/garlic roux, made quite enough sauce for 2 pounds of
      shrimp. The sauce is a pinkish brown, slightly thick sauce that tastes
      predominantly of garlic. Having eaten Tio Pepe's garlic shrimp many times,
      I would say that it's a close approximation, without quite the same
      richness. Also, I wonder if Tio Pepe's recipe has a bit of wine, sherry or
      other liquor in it to add a little verve."

      -------
      ListMom to these cooking lists:
      http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/Clipping-Cooking (from magazines &
      newspapers)