Bacon Mushroom Swiss Meatloaf

  • listmoms@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 26, 1999
      Bacon Mushroom Swiss Meatloaf
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Lynn Nelson
      The Kitchen Timer

      Right now, this is my absolute favorite meatloaf recipe. The combination of
      ingredients bakes into something truly wonderful. I like a meatloaf that
      doesn't require any special sauce or ketchup to make it tasty, and this fits
      the bill perfectly.

      12 ounces bacon, diced
      4 medium white mushrooms, chopped
      1 small onion, finely chopped
      1 1/2 lbs. extra lean ground beef
      1 egg
      1/4 cup evaporated milk or half & half
      6 ounces shredded swiss cheese
      1/2 cup corn flake crumbs

      Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

      In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp but not burned. Remove with a
      slotted spoon to paper towels to drain and cool. Remove all but a tablespoon
      of the bacon fat from the skillet and saute the mushrooms and onions until
      tender. Allow to cool slightly.

      In a large bowl, mix the beef, egg, and milk. Add the mushroom/onion mixture,
      all but a few spoonfuls of the swiss cheese and all but one tablespoon of the
      bacon bits. Add the corn flake crumbs and mix well until blended. Shape
      into a loaf and place in a large loaf pan.

      Bake at 350 for about an hour, or until cooked through. Drain fat from the pan
      and sprinkle the reserved cheese and bacon on top. Bake an additional 5
      minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.

      Allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 4 to 6 servings.

      -------
      ListMom to these cooking lists:
      http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/Clipping-Cooking (from magazines &
      newspapers)