Re: M39 Salvaged !!!

  • Alan Castillo
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 1, 2006
      Hi Kel & thanks for your comments re the image !
      I don't think that a photoshop action would help us, or even if it
      is possible to create one. The action would have to be able to
      differentiate between a bad pixel and the DSO pixels. I think the
      only way is to kill them at source before they even appear. Thought
      long & hard about it & rather than struggling with ice-packs et al,
      I reasoned that it was in my santiy's best interest to get the
      Outback. An expense I did not plan for at all ! (still got the APO &
      other stuff for September & the bulinding of my shed for the scope).
      Alan

      http://www.geocities.com/alancastillo1/

      --- In Meade_DSI@yahoogroups.com, "Kel" <skywardview@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone know of a Photoshop action that would relieve me (and
      > Alan, until he receives the cooler) of click-click-clicking away
      > over/under-subtracted pixels? Kind of like AS-IP's Fix-Hot& Fix-
      Cold

      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 1, 2006

        Hi There Matt ! Thank you ! Much appreciated !

        --- In Meade_DSI@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Taylor" <mattaylor@...> wrote:

        > Nice shot Alan, it's a keeper! Good color!
        >
        > Matt

      • Kel
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 1, 2006
          Alan,

          I agree, it's a lot better to not have bad pixels in the first place
          (except maybe when dark subtract is perfect. Hm!). I'm looking
          forward to hearing how the Razorback helps your situation. Even if
          you're not cooling near-freezing, holding a constant 10-15C is going
          to make a huge difference.

          My icepack works fine for very narrow situations. Tonight it was
          holding 18C very nicely for 3 minute subs. But when clouds started
          forming, I decided to cut to 30 seconds and shoot in between clouds.
          At 30 seconds, the DSI / icepack combo wanted to equalize at a very
          different temperature than for 3 minute subs. I lost a lot of clear
          sky time waiting for the bugger to equalize again. So the hassle
          factor may send me off toward Outback land at some point.

          wrote:
          > Hi Kel & thanks for your comments re the image !
          > I don't think that a photoshop action would help us, or even if it
          > is possible to create one. The action would have to be able to
          > differentiate between a bad pixel and the DSO pixels. I think the
          > only way is to kill them at source before they even appear. Thought
          > long & hard about it & rather than struggling with ice-packs et al,
          > I reasoned that it was in my santiy's best interest to get the
          > Outback. An expense I did not plan for at all ! (still got the APO
          &
          > other stuff for September & the bulinding of my shed for the scope).
          > Alan
        • Alan Castillo
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 3, 2006

            Hi all,

            Couldn't resist the challenge & have spent a few hours on & off processing the last image I had taken in my all-nighter 28/29June. (it was really low in the sky, but I decided to visit this old friend anyway. )

            Havn't stopped processing also since I got back from work, & the Mrs. is going to kill me if I don't stop. So I gave HER a choice of 3 semi-final versions, & she chose this one

            http://www.skyinsight.net/DeepSkyImager/gallery/Alans-Images/M31_29Jun

            Heart of Andromeda - M31 - LX200 8" DSI IIc - FR3.3 - 17exp X 2min

            I battled so much with the pixels, I don't know if it's good, bad or ugly, so please do classify it for me :))

            Feel totaaly free & liberal ... I can blame the Mrs. for this one ! lol !