ETX-60AT Tripod died; what do I do?

  • Ed_Isenberg
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2005
      For about a year now my ETX-60AT #882 tripod legs have been slipping.
      Now one leg refuses to extend. Since the entire telescope was purchased
      for only $200 I don't want to spend several hundred on a new tripod.
      OTOH, I like this little scope and want to give it to my son when he
      goes away to school

      So are there any suggestions as to what to do?

      (a) Where could I go to get the legs fixed?
      (b) Are there replacement after-market tripods that are inexpensive
      enough to make sense?
      (c) Is there an adapter that would allow the ETX to be mounted on an
      inexpensive camera tripod?
      (d) somewhere that sells a table-tripod?
      (e) something else I haven't thought of?

      Thanks for any help you can give me.
    • Darren
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2005
        Hi Ed,

        You'll find a version of a homemade tripod on my site (below) under the
        modifications section, it may give you a few ideas.

        It essentially utilises a camera tripod and allows my ETX70 to be polar
        aligned and provides considerable accessory storage in the process. Adding a
        handbox holder can be achieved by fashioning something from a cheap mobile
        phone holder!

        Hope this helps!

        Regards,
        Darren

        ---------------------------------
        astronomy@...
        THE ETX70 HOMEPAGE
        (http://astronomy.customer.netspace.net.au)
        home of the ETX70 and autostarsuite & LPI/DSI webrings

        For about a year now my ETX-60AT #882 tripod legs have been slipping.
        Now one leg refuses to extend. Since the entire telescope was purchased
        for only $200 I don't want to spend several hundred on a new tripod.
        OTOH, I like this little scope and want to give it to my son when he
        goes away to school

        So are there any suggestions as to what to do?

        (a) Where could I go to get the legs fixed?
        (b) Are there replacement after-market tripods that are inexpensive
        enough to make sense?
        (c) Is there an adapter that would allow the ETX to be mounted on an
        inexpensive camera tripod?
        (d) somewhere that sells a table-tripod?
        (e) something else I haven't thought of?

        Thanks for any help you can give me.

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Ed_Isenberg
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2005
          Darren:

          I went to your site but I can't figure out how to enter.
          Clicking "Browse" got me to a Japanese site where the screen was
          filled with ?????. How do I get to your page on replacement tripods?
          Is there a specific URL I can enter in manually?

          Ed

          --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "Darren" <astronomy@n...>

          30/09/2005
        • Darren
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2005
            Click on the graphic of the Autostar Handbox displaying "ENTER" across the
            face.

            Otherwise click http://astronomy.customer.netspace.net.au/default.htm

            Regards,
            Darren

            ---------------------------------

            wrote:
            > Hi Ed,
            >
            > You'll find a version of a homemade tripod on my site (below)
            under the
            > modifications section, it may give you a few ideas.
            >
            > It essentially utilises a camera tripod and allows my ETX70 to be
            polar
            > aligned and provides considerable accessory storage in the
            process. Adding a
            > handbox holder can be achieved by fashioning something from a
            cheap mobile
            > phone holder!
            >
            > Hope this helps!
            >
            > Regards,
            > Darren
            >
            > ---------------------------------
            > astronomy@n...
            > THE ETX70 HOMEPAGE
            > (http://astronomy.customer.netspace.net.au)
            > home of the ETX70 and autostarsuite & LPI/DSI webrings

            30/09/2005

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • autostaretx
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 3, 2005
              --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "Darren" <astronomy@n...> wrote:
              > Click on the graphic of the Autostar Handbox
              > displaying "ENTER" across the face.
              >
              > Otherwise click http://astronomy.customer.netspace.net.au/default.htm

              ...this does perhaps suggest that a (for example) Meade-like
              list of clear-text entry links across the bottom of the page
              might help some visitors...

              (for some unknown reason, my newest install of Firefox 1.07 isn't
              showing ALT text, either... and not just on that site...)

              have fun
              --dick
            • Darren
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 3, 2005
                Fixed!

                Hopefully the current version is a bit easier to understand. (May need
                refreshing)

                Thanks to all who pointed this out! Let me know if you believe this solves
                the issue adequately!
                I am always open to ways to improve the site so please don't hesitate to let
                me know problems such as this.

                Firefox is definitely more secure and I highly recommend it - part of this
                security involves disabling the alt text. I do miss it at times though! I do
                notice some sites get around it but haven't looked into this yet.

                Regards,
                Darren