Re: info....

  • autostaretx
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1 8:09 AM
      --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "zzbadass240"
      <zzbadass240@y...> wrote:

      > i would like to hook my laptop up to my autostar and am not sure how
      > to do this. i have a meade ds-80 with autostar. is there any
      > information about this still available? thanks

      If you have a 494 Autostar (no numeric keypad), you will require
      a Meade 506 cable/converter to connect a PC's serial COM port
      to the AUX socket on the telescope. About us$30 to $50, and you
      cannot home-build one (they have active electronics in the middle).

      If you have a 495 or 497 Autostar (with numeric keypad) you would
      require a Meade 505 cable, which -can- be home-built, or purchased
      from non-Meade vendors, and which connects the PC's serial COM port
      to the second, smaller, socket on the base of the Autostar itself.
      $6 to $25, depending upon source.

      Pinouts for the home-built 505:
      http://www.weasner.com/etx/autostar/as_cable505.html

      If your PC does not have a 9-pin COM port, you would also need
      a USB-to-serial adapter to create one. $20 to $80, depending
      upon source.

      have fun
      --dick