Microfocuser cord tangles

  • etx105user
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2004
      Hi all,

      I was wondering if anyone has come up with a solution for the problem
      of the microfocuser cord getting wrapped around and tangles in the
      fork mount of hte LX200 GPS series. It seems like a very stupid design
      to me. I mean why didn't Meade put the outlets for the reticle,
      focuser and autoguider somewhere on the rotating forks?

      Currently I unplug the focuser when slewing from one object to the
      next, but I sometimes forget to plug it back in. Most frustrating.

      Has anyone moved the plugs up on the fork?

      Thanks

      Craig
    • Simon Hanmer
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2004
        Craig ...

        I operate my LX200-GPS 10" remotely with the micro-focuser ALWAYS plugged
        in, for obvious reasons. I have NEVER had a tangle problem. What are you
        doing with your scope?

        Simon

        Simon Hanmer
        Geological Survey of Canada, 601 Booth St, Ottawa, Ont., K1A 0E8
        Vox (613) 992-4704 : Fax 943-5318
        E-Mail (work) shanmer@...
        E-Mail (home) simon.hanmer@...

        http://www3.sympatico.ca/simon.hanmer/skh.html

        http://ottawa.rasc.ca/astronomy/geology/index.html

        From: "etx105user" <ETX_ASTRO_BOY@...>
        Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 17:39:42 -0000
        To: Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [MeadeUncensored] Microfocuser cord tangles

        Hi all,

        I was wondering if anyone has come up with a solution for the problem
        of the microfocuser cord getting wrapped around and tangles in the
        fork mount of hte LX200 GPS series. It seems like a very stupid design
        to me. I mean why didn't Meade put the outlets for the reticle,
        focuser and autoguider somewhere on the rotating forks?

        Currently I unplug the focuser when slewing from one object to the
        next, but I sometimes forget to plug it back in. Most frustrating.

        Has anyone moved the plugs up on the fork?

        Thanks

        Craig

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • jlb_codeman
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2004
          I have a 10" LX200GPS and a DS114 both with Autostar and I have never
          had a cord wrap. I do not plug the LX's focuser in until I have
          finished the alignment. At times I feel that I should move it to the
          side of the fork just because I hear the cord's wrappings sliding
          along the bottom of the fork. It has never pulled out or interfered
          with the rotation of the scope.

          The scope will not circle around because it has a built-in stop and
          the computer I beleive is program to avoid cord wrapping.

          --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "etx105user"
          <ETX_ASTRO_BOY@s...> wrote:
          > Hi all,
          >
          > I was wondering if anyone has come up with a solution for the
          problem
          > of the microfocuser cord getting wrapped around and tangles in the
          > fork mount of hte LX200 GPS series. It seems like a very stupid
          design
          > to me. I mean why didn't Meade put the outlets for the reticle,
          > focuser and autoguider somewhere on the rotating forks?
          >
          > Currently I unplug the focuser when slewing from one object to the
          > next, but I sometimes forget to plug it back in. Most frustrating.
          >
          > Has anyone moved the plugs up on the fork?
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Craig
        • Mark P
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 2, 2004
            > I have a 10" LX200GPS and a DS114 both with Autostar and I have never
            > had a cord wrap. I do not plug the LX's focuser in until I have
            > finished the alignment. At times I feel that I should move it to the
            > side of the fork just because I hear the cord's wrappings sliding
            > along the bottom of the fork. It has never pulled out or interfered
            > with the rotation of the scope.
            >
            > The scope will not circle around because it has a built-in stop and
            > the computer I beleive is program to avoid cord wrapping.

            Yes, somewhere in the Autostar menu is a "cord wrap" on or off setting.

            Look at the autostar menu tree in the manual.

            Mark P.

            rockville...md...na...terra...solsys...orionarm...
          • etx105user
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 2, 2004
              Huh! i always thought the cord wrap feature was to prevent internal
              wiring from wrapping. i never thought about it for teh external cords.

              I'll give it a try.

              Craig

> [...]
            • Henry
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 2, 2004
                Well ah yea it is but (wispers) shush don't tell anyone but it works
                for both. Shush now. ;-))))) hjs

                <ETX_ASTRO_BOY@s...> wrote:
                > Huh! i always thought the cord wrap feature was to prevent internal
                > wiring from wrapping. i never thought about it for teh external cords.
                >
                > I'll give it a try.
                >
                > Craig

                <snip>
              • Larry Summers
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 2, 2004
                  Hi,
                  I have a LX200GPS, and have had no problems with cord wrap, for the
                  simple reason it does plug into the base and not the fork. I don't
                  beleive the GPS's even has the "cord wrap feature" in Autostar just
                  for that reason also? The LX90 has it because it plugs into the
                  fork, along with most other wires.

                  Larry

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 4, 2004
                    Larry,

                    If it were to plug into the forks (rotating part), how can it get
                    tangled? the cord, and anything it is attached to at either end would
                    rotate together. Plugged ito the stationary base, the tube and MF
                    rotate around and the cord wrap around the base.

                    --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Summers"