Re: starfinder question

  • armullis
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2002
      Let me give you some practical advice from a guy who was in your
      position 2 years ago. Don't!

      The 10" Starfinder Eq I bought has some pluses and minuses;

      Great OTA, mirrors. I have seen some wonderful sights with the scope!

      Bad Focuser, made of cheap plastic, lots of backlash, had to replace
      it with a quality focuser ($100 or more)

      Not a really good portable scope. Hard to haul around and setup,
      needs a perfectly level ground to work right. I had to invest in a
      concrete ($200) pad at the club observatory just for this reason
      alone!

      Poor mount, will not take a lot of additional weight. The Manual even
      says the scope is not designed for long duration astrophoto work
      (greater than say 20 secs).

      Magellan II good, but not GOTO (costs $500)

      My advice, if you are buying a new scope, I would buy an LXD55 (10"
      starts about the same price as the older Starfinder 10" started at)
      with the AutoStar GOTO system, or consider seriously about getting an
      LX-90. You will be far happier. Also, consider the amount of money
      you will spend to modify/upgrade the Starfinder.

      And the other responder is right, The Starfinder series is now
      history.

      I might buy a new mount for my tube someday, possibly a Losmandy or
      something of quality. But, the GM-11 is a $2000 proposition.

      Think on what you are about to do my friend.

      Good luck!

      Art