New to group

  • James Drabb
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
      Hi all,

      I just joined the group and wanted to introduce myself. My name is
      Jim Drabb, I live in Orlando Florida and I am 28 years young. I
      recently sold my 10" LX200 and I am in the market for a new scope. I
      just have a pair of 10X50's to get me by right now. : )
      I was planning on a 10" - 12.5" dob, but the new Meade LXD55 10"
      Schmidt-Newt has caught my eye. The only catch-22 for me is the
      short focal length of 40". I like the wide field for deepsky, but
      time-to-time I like to "check" in on the planets. With a 5mm eyepiece
      it only give me 205X. My highest power eyepiece is a 15mm Orion
      Ultrascopic and a Televue 3X barlow yielding 5mm at 205X. Maybe I
      could look into a 4mm Radian or something for 254X. Oh well,
      decisions, decisions.

      Talk to you all later,

      Jim Drabb
    • Walter Willis
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 31, 2003
        Hello Everyone.

        My name is Walter. I am a budding (as in just got my first scope in
        January) astronomer and I'm looking into buying a better telescope. My 5"
        Newt Reflector does a fine job visually and everytime I take it out I am
        awed by what I can see. And frustrated by what I can not see or do with it.
        I am considering varous Mead models as a possible upgrade. I will primarily
        be lurking to see what all of you experienced folks have to say.

        Walter

        <lurker mode on>
      • Christopher Erickson
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 31, 2003
          It would be better to ask your questions and tell us about what you
          are interested in. Otherwise what you will mostly be doing is hearing
          from people who are having scope problems and that won't be any way to
          decide on your next scope!

          -Christopher Erickson
          Network Design Engineer
          We Byte
          5432 E. Northern Lights Blvd., Suite 529
          Anchorage, AK 99508
          N61° 11.710' W149° 46.723'
          www.data-plumber.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Kevin Muenzler, WB5RUE
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 31, 2003
            I Walter and welcome to the group.

            I recommend and LX-90. Yes, it's expensive but it's definitely worth the
            price. I have had ZERO trouble with mine except that it was dead out of the
            box. Sent it back to Meade and had it back in my hot little hands in about
            two weeks. It's operated flawlessly since. The LXD-55 series is a decent
            line but you get what you pay for. I have the 6" model and, with some
            trepidation, got it working and have had no trouble with it since. The
            LXD-55 is a bear to setup the first time and a cub (small bear) to set up
            each time you use it. It takes me about 20 minutes to get my LXD-55 (son's
            scope) up and running each evening and about two or three minutes to get my
            LX-90 up and running. This has nothing to do with the quality but with the
            type of mount. A German Equatorial is much more time consuming to align
            than an alt/azm mount. Once you are up and running each performs very well.
            The optics on my LXD-55 are excellent as are the optics on the LX-90.

            If I had the choice of one or the other I would save up the money and get an
            LX-90. Don't spend the extra for the GPS line unless you want a larger
            aperture scope.

            Kevin Muenzler, WB5RUE
            29º14'52"N 98º14'50"W
            Eagle Creek Observatory