New Scope. First Look

  • henren_98 <henren_98@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2003
      First let me apoligize to everyone in the midwest for the next two
      weeks of crap weather ;-)

      Meade ETX-125 EC UHTC w/884 tripod and autostar. Unpacked everyting
      and took a look. The tripod is much beefier than the 883 and with that
      and the built in wedge should be much better for astrophotography. I
      had to upgrade the autostar to 26ed (seems strange that Meade didn't
      do that). Now for the scope. This is the reason I bought this in the
      first place. I have had a UHTC scope before (ETX-90 EC UHTC) so I know
      what the expect as far as that goes. The forks are much bettrer. This
      first thing I did was take of the DEC knob off and take a look. Yep
      there it is. Aluminum forks and ball bearings. Yes!! I loaded it up
      with the required 104 AA bateries and gave it a test run on the table.
      Very very smooth and a lot quieter than my old 125. I mounted it to
      the tripod (almost cross threated the bolts)and added the goodies
      (EP/Autostar holder and electric focuser). The electric focuser works
      better on the new scope and there is a lot less image shift. I will
      like that a lot. On the old scope the image shift could be so bad that
      Saturn would leave the FOV!!! If I can ever get some clear skies
      without it being so damn cold I would love to see how much better it
      tracks with the new bearings. At first I will run it in Alt/Az but
      really want to try polar mode. I think it is going to be tuff to get
      it right as there is not a good way to get the angle right. Any body
      know how to figure the correct altitude for a location? I would think
      it must be pretty easy but I just don't know the correct way. That's
      it for now. If I don't get some clear skies I guess I'll just bench
      (old racing term) observe. Now if I can get my old scope sold.

      hjs