Re: [MeadeUncensored] barlow lens best choice?

  • John Mahony
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2003
      Technically, any extra glass or optical surfaces will deteriorate the image
      quality. But with a good barlow the difference is minimal. So it all
      depends on the quality of the barlow and how much you're willing to pay for
      extra eyepieces.
      -John

    • reel_jemm <reel_jemm@yahoo.ca>
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2003
        --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "John Mahony"
        <jmmahony@h...> wrote:
        > Technically, any extra glass or optical surfaces will deteriorate
        the image
        > quality. But with a good barlow the difference is minimal. So it
        all
        > depends on the quality of the barlow and how much you're willing to
        pay for
        > extra eyepieces.
        > -John

        And what would be a reasonably price "good" barlow John. Don't have
        one and I'm looking for recommendation for a reasonably priced barlow.

        Tks!
      • Rick Baumhauer
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2003
          The Tele Vue is certainly excellent, but quite pricey. A bit less
          expensive are the Celestron Ultima and Orion "Shorty" - both
          essentially the same, as I believe they're made in the same Chinese
          factory. I have the Celestron, but really can't comment, as weather
          in New England has prevented any observation in what seems like
          months.........

          As I'm posting this, of course, it is impossible not to mention this
          morning's tragedy over Texas. My thoughts go out to the family and
          friends of those aboard Columbia, everyone at NASA, and all of the
          people, myself included, who believe so strongly in our collective
          future in space.

          On 1 Feb 2003 at 11:31, reel_jemm reel_jemm@... wrote:
          > And what would be a reasonably price "good" barlow John. Don't
          have
          > one and I'm looking for recommendation for a reasonably priced
          barlow.

          > Tks!
        • Buck
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2003
            The Tele Vue PowerMate is a Barlow but more..It is a high cost but if you
            plan to use Barlows you will someday own one. no need for a 5x unless you
            are going to do Planet imaging work and need extra Magnification
            > Technically, any extra glass or optical surfaces will deteriorate the
            image
            > quality. But with a good barlow the difference is minimal. So it all
            > depends on the quality of the barlow and how much you're willing to pay
            for
            > extra eyepieces.
            > -John
            >

            > >From: "webservants40471 <webservants01@...>"
            > ><webservants01@...>
            > >
            > >Is using a barlow lens to achive the desired magnification not as
            > >good optically as just using a lens of the desired magnification? I
            > >am using an ETX-70 with a 3x barlow. Is there any advantage to the 2x
            > >barlow instead? As you can tell I am new to this and would
            > >appreaciate your feedback.

          • John Mahony
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 1, 2003
              It's quite possible your biggest problem is just that you're using too much
              magnification. Using more than about 120X on a 60mm scope will give a fuzzy
              image regardless of optical quality.
              I don't use barlows much so I can't comment much on individual barlows. I
              do know that my Meade "shorty" is noticeably inferior to a Televue 2X, but
              that's not surprising.
              Did you get this scope at a department store? Meade sells discount grade
              versions of some of their smaller scopes in local stores and those
              frequently come with very inferior eyepieces, so you might be better off
              investing in better eyepieces.
              -John