Meade's smallest egroup

  • Herb York
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 12 8:38 AM
      Welcome.
      <g>
      Soon to be the largest.
      Herb
    • cloudhidden2001
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 15, 2003
        Hi:
        I'm trying to make sense of products that allow remote or automated
        operations. I notice that camera control software vendore either do
        not support or put qualifyers or their support for Meade CCD camera,
        e.g., Maxim DL, or softwarebisque's CCDSoft.
        Since Meade is a major manufacturer, I wonder why. Is there
        something about their CCD equipment that is not as complete as
        venfors that sell CCDs as their primary product?
      • Ugly Dog
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 15, 2003
          For many years Meades software has been questionable in its ability
          to do as advertised. Maxim is the software that works best
          (currently) on Pictor Cameras. I also understand Meade may quit the
          CCD camera business altogether?
          Ugly Dog

          --- cloudhidden2001 <cloudhidden2001@...> wrote:
          > Hi:
          > I'm trying to make sense of products that allow remote or automated
          >
          > operations. I notice that camera control software vendore either do
          >
          > not support or put qualifyers or their support for Meade CCD
          > camera,
          > e.g., Maxim DL, or softwarebisque's CCDSoft.
          > Since Meade is a major manufacturer, I wonder why. Is there
          > something about their CCD equipment that is not as complete as
          > venfors that sell CCDs as their primary product?

          =====
          Ugly Dog
          http://www.bewellweb.com/g42016k/astro.htm

          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
        • Mark de Regt
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 15, 2003
            It was asked:

            > I'm trying to make sense of products that allow remote or automated
            > operations. I notice that camera control software vendore either do
            > not support or put qualifyers or their support for Meade CCD camera,
            > e.g., Maxim DL, or softwarebisque's CCDSoft.
            > Since Meade is a major manufacturer, I wonder why. Is there
            > something about their CCD equipment that is not as complete as
            > venfors that sell CCDs as their primary product?

            Yeah, many people seem to think that the highest and best use of Pictor
            equipment is either as a boat anchor (the bigger pieces) or a door stop (the
            smaller pieces. Take a look at the MAPUG archives for pages and pages of
            information about them. On the theory that a picture is worth a thousand
            words, look at the picture at the very bottom of this page
            http://www.mapug.com/AstroDesigns/MAPUG/P201Strt.htm#URL201xt entitled
            "Venting Frustration with the 201xt." In short, the software seems to be
            very hard to work with, to put it mildly, and the SCSI interface is, at
            best, tricky.

            If you don't already own a Pictor CCD camera, the best advice seems to be
            that you should not buy one. I took that advice to heart when I was buying
            a CCD camera, and looked at all the complaints about the Pictor equipement,
            and, instead, bought a used SBIG ST-7E. I have never regretted that move,
            and have been thankful many times.

            Mark de Regt
            Redmond, Washington, USA

            47.696270 N.
            122.004715 W.
            Astro Images: http://home.earthlink.net/~akilla/MAD
          • John Mahony
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 16, 2003
              Meade's CCD system is a mess. It's a product that was never quite finished.
              They hired an outside company to develop it for them, but got in a fight
              with that company so that company quit. Meade has been trying to make it
              work ever since. It uses outmoded scsi coonection which is not quite really
              compatible with modern operating systems. They stripped the software down
              quite a bit to simplify it to try to fix it. They only recently got it
              reasonably reliable, but now they're getting out of the CCD business. The
              software is bare bones now (don't believe any Meade literature on it- they
              never updated the catalog, so many of the listed features either never
              existed or were removed), and the scsi is still touchy enough that other
              companies have to include a disclaimer.
              -John

              >From: "cloudhidden2001" <cloudhidden2001@...>
              >
              >Hi:
              >I'm trying to make sense of products that allow remote or automated
              >operations. I notice that camera control software vendore either do
              >not support or put qualifyers or their support for Meade CCD camera,
              >e.g., Maxim DL, or softwarebisque's CCDSoft.
              >Since Meade is a major manufacturer, I wonder why. Is there
              >something about their CCD equipment that is not as complete as
              >venfors that sell CCDs as their primary product?

              Get a FREE computer virus scan online from McAfee.
            • cloudhidden2001
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 17, 2003
                I'm trying to plan some construction of an observatory...

                Can anyone tell me the diameter of a 12 and 14 inch Meade? How large
                a circle it would make so I can plan a minimun opening size.

                Also, notice in the autostar suite it says you can remote control
                the telescope over the internet. Anyone have specifics on this. is
                this like 'The Sky's' server and client implementation?

                Larry Clark
              • autostaretx
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 18, 2003
                  --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "cloudhidden2001"
                  <cloudhidden2001@y...> wrote:
                  > I'm trying to plan some construction of an observatory...
                  >
                  > Can anyone tell me the diameter of a 12 and 14 inch Meade?
                  > How large a circle it would make so I can plan a minimun
                  > opening size.

                  Do you mean the barrel outer diameter?

                  If the telescope is not protruding -through- the dome opening,
                  then you only need have it large enough to pass the 12" or 14"
                  parallel cylinder of light... so 12 or 14 inches, respectively.

                  You could ask this question on the LX200gps user group,
                  and some owners would be happy to measure them for you.
                  (i've only got a ten-inch, so i can't help).

                  If you are planning on having a dew shield added to the scope,
                  that could greatly change the answer.

                  have fun
                  --dick