Pictor 416 XT parts

  • John
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 24, 2013
      Hello group. I am new here and look forward to discussing my favorite scopes (I have a variety of them (LX200, LXD55, ETX90, and more ....)

      I also have a couple of the Meade Pictor 416 XT cameras, but seems the cable that connects from the controller to the camera head have vanished during our move from San Antonio to where we are now. Anyone have any idea where to obtain replacement for this cable, or, short of that, where to find the parts needed to construct one or two myself? If I could find the connectors, and the wiring schematic, I would have no problem making them myself.

      Any ideas would be gratefully accepted ....

      Meade has no more of them in stock, and seems pretty terse about no longer supporting these cameras .... I do understand it since they were discontinued 10 years ago ....

      Thanks
    • John Mahony
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 25, 2013
        The plugs seem to be the same as (pre-USB) mouse cord plug.  Most likely, the wiring at either end matches pin-for-pin, but I don't know that for sure.

        -John

        > Hello group. I am new here and look forward to discussing my favorite scopes (I
        > have a variety of them (LX200, LXD55, ETX90, and more ....)
        >
        > I also have a couple of the Meade Pictor 416 XT cameras, but seems the cable
        > that connects from the controller to the camera head have vanished during our
        > move from San Antonio to where we are now. Anyone have any idea where to obtain
        > replacement for this cable, or, short of that, where to find the parts needed to
        > construct one or two myself? If I could find the connectors, and the wiring
        > schematic, I would have no problem making them myself.
        >
        > Any ideas would be gratefully accepted ....
        >
        > Meade has no more of them in stock, and seems pretty terse about no longer
        > supporting these cameras .... I do understand it since they were discontinued 10
        > years ago ....
        >
        > Thanks

      • starryskyn
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 26, 2013
          I have that camera, so I could try to do a wiring diagram for you in next few days. As to parts, I guess Allied or Mouser or one of the similar supply houses could be sources.
          Gregg

          --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "John" <j_e_t_satx@...> wrote:

          > Hello group. I am new here and look forward to discussing my favorite scopes (I have a variety of them (LX200, LXD55, ETX90, and more ....)
          >
          > I also have a couple of the Meade Pictor 416 XT cameras, but seems the cable that connects from the controller to the camera head have vanished during our move from San Antonio to where we are now. Anyone have any idea where to obtain replacement for this cable, or, short of that, where to find the parts needed to construct one or two myself? If I could find the connectors, and the wiring schematic, I would have no problem making them myself.
          >
          > Any ideas would be gratefully accepted ....
          >
          > Meade has no more of them in stock, and seems pretty terse about no longer supporting these cameras .... I do understand it since they were discontinued 10 years ago ....
          >
          > Thanks

        • starryskyn
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 26, 2013
            http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Minidin-Male-Black-Cable/dp/B008QRABEY has the cable, and even if it is not wired correctly, it can be modified to work by doing a cut and splice change somewhere in middle. And it is not expensive. I believe Meade engineers would have bought off the shelf cable with molded ends rather than doing a special one that costs more for custom pin out. What is a mystery that the manual says it is an 8 pin cable, and I can count 9 pins with one blank spot. The only thing special about the camera end of cable is that it has a right angle molded body. Not absolutely necessary to have that, as a straight body could do fine. I rope mine down to the body of the camera to keep it connected.
            Gregg

            --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "John" <j_e_t_satx@...> wrote:

            > Hello group. I am new here and look forward to discussing my favorite scopes (I have a variety of them (LX200, LXD55, ETX90, and more ....)
            >
            > I also have a couple of the Meade Pictor 416 XT cameras, but seems the cable that connects from the controller to the camera head have vanished during our move from San Antonio to where we are now. Anyone have any idea where to obtain replacement for this cable, or, short of that, where to find the parts needed to construct one or two myself? If I could find the connectors, and the wiring schematic, I would have no problem making them myself.
            >
            > Any ideas would be gratefully accepted ....
            >
            > Meade has no more of them in stock, and seems pretty terse about no longer supporting these cameras .... I do understand it since they were discontinued 10 years ago ....
            >
            > Thanks

          • John
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 26, 2013
              That would be most helpful Gregg ....

              As I look at the cable in your link, it shows to be only 6 foot long, and with my situation, that would be impractical to use .... I do see that they also have one that looks to be 15 feet, but that would still be a little short for my purpose ....
              A wiring diagram (pinout) of the cable would be MOST appreciated ...

              Thank you for your information ...

              John

              --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "starryskyn" <starryskyn@...> wrote:

              > I have that camera, so I could try to do a wiring diagram for you in next few days. As to parts, I guess Allied or Mouser or one of the similar supply houses could be sources.
              > Gregg
              >
              > --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "John" <j_e_t_satx@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello group. I am new here and look forward to discussing my favorite scopes (I have a variety of them (LX200, LXD55, ETX90, and more ....)
              > >
              > > I also have a couple of the Meade Pictor 416 XT cameras, but seems the cable that connects from the controller to the camera head have vanished during our move from San Antonio to where we are now. Anyone have any idea where to obtain replacement for this cable, or, short of that, where to find the parts needed to construct one or two myself? If I could find the connectors, and the wiring schematic, I would have no problem making them myself.
              > >
              > > Any ideas would be gratefully accepted ....
              > >
              > > Meade has no more of them in stock, and seems pretty terse about no longer supporting these cameras .... I do understand it since they were discontinued 10 years ago ....
              > >
              > > Thanks

            • John
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 26, 2013
                John,

                I am assuming you are referring to the old "PS2" mouse and keyboard connectors ?

                I believe those are 6 pin connectors, and wold be slightly smaller ... and would have an alignment pin in between the connector pins ...

                On the camera, I count 9 pins, AND an extra space between one set ....
                I think it is called a mini-din, but I am not certain .....

                thanks for your reply ..... I am looking for one of my old style mice just to verify ...

                John

                --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, John Mahony <jmmahony@...> wrote:

                > The plugs seem to be the same as (pre-USB) mouse cord plug.  Most likely, the wiring at either end matches pin-for-pin, but I don't know that for sure.
                >
                > -John

              • Andy Eskelson
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 26, 2013
                  Some nice diagrams of mini din connectors here ...

                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-DIN_connector

                  Andy

                  On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 17:19:41 -0000
                  "John" <j_e_t_satx@...> wrote:

                  > John,
                  >
                  > I am assuming you are referring to the old "PS2" mouse and keyboard connectors ?
                  >
                  > I believe those are 6 pin connectors, and wold be slightly smaller ... and would have an alignment pin in between the connector pins ...
                  >
                  > On the camera, I count 9 pins, AND an extra space between one set ....
                  > I think it is called a mini-din, but I am not certain .....
                  >
                  > thanks for your reply ..... I am looking for one of my old style mice just to verify ...
                  >
                  > John
                  >
                  > --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, John Mahony <jmmahony@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > The plugs seem to be the same as (pre-USB) mouse cord plug.  Most likely, the wiring at either end matches pin-for-pin, but I don't know that for sure.
                  > >
                  > > -John

                • John
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 26, 2013
                    Thanks Andy,

                    Do you happen to have the pinout diagram of the wiring for the Pictor 416 XT (ie: pin 1 of the camera end connects to pin 5 of the controller end), etc.?

                    Thanks

                    John

                    --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, Andy Eskelson <andyyahoo@...> wrote:

                    > Some nice diagrams of mini din connectors here ...
                    >
                    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-DIN_connector
                    >
                    > Andy
                    >

                    > On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 17:19:41 -0000
                    > "John" <j_e_t_satx@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > John,
                    > >
                    > > I am assuming you are referring to the old "PS2" mouse and keyboard connectors ?
                    > >
                    > > I believe those are 6 pin connectors, and wold be slightly smaller ... and would have an alignment pin in between the connector pins ...
                    > >
                    > > On the camera, I count 9 pins, AND an extra space between one set ....
                    > > I think it is called a mini-din, but I am not certain .....
                    > >
                    > > thanks for your reply ..... I am looking for one of my old style mice just to verify ...
                    > >
                    > > John
                    > >
                    > > --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, John Mahony <jmmahony@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > The plugs seem to be the same as (pre-USB) mouse cord plug.  Most likely, the wiring at either end matches pin-for-pin, but I don't know that for sure.
                    > > >
                    > > > -John

                  • starryskyn
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 26, 2013
                      This is short--Yahoo fails to post long message from me.
                      The m-->m cable is straight through or 1-->1 etc on my 416XT camera.
                      The m-->f extenders are mirror image, to preserve the straight through format of the shorter m-->m cables. But long run might mean lower voltage on cooler, higher noise on signal.
                      Gregg

                      --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "John" <j_e_t_satx@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks Andy,
                      >
                      > Do you happen to have the pinout diagram of the wiring for the Pictor 416 XT (ie: pin 1 of the camera end connects to pin 5 of the controller end), etc.?
                      >
                      > Thanks
                      >
                      > John
                      >
                      > --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, Andy Eskelson <andyyahoo@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Some nice diagrams of mini din connectors here ...
                      > >
                      > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-DIN_connector
                      > >
                      > > Andy
                      > >

                      > > On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 17:19:41 -0000
                      > > "John" <j_e_t_satx@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > John,
                      > > >
                      > > > I am assuming you are referring to the old "PS2" mouse and keyboard connectors ?
                      > > >
                      > > > I believe those are 6 pin connectors, and wold be slightly smaller ... and would have an alignment pin in between the connector pins ...
                      > > >
                      > > > On the camera, I count 9 pins, AND an extra space between one set ....
                      > > > I think it is called a mini-din, but I am not certain .....
                      > > >
                      > > > thanks for your reply ..... I am looking for one of my old style mice just to verify ...
                      > > >
                      > > > John

                    • Andy Eskelson
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 26, 2013
                        No, sorry I don't own a Pictor.

                        I can't find any info on the web regarding the mini din. It is likely
                        that it is wired pin to pin, but it needs someone to buzz out a cable to
                        confirm.

                        Andy

                        On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 18:32:50 -0000
                        "John" <j_e_t_satx@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks Andy,
                        >
                        > Do you happen to have the pinout diagram of the wiring for the Pictor 416 XT (ie: pin 1 of the camera end connects to pin 5 of the controller end), etc.?
                        >
                        > Thanks
                        >
                        > John
                        >
                        > --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, Andy Eskelson <andyyahoo@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Some nice diagrams of mini din connectors here ...
                        > >
                        > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-DIN_connector
                        > >
                        > > Andy
                        > >

                        > > On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 17:19:41 -0000
                        > > "John" <j_e_t_satx@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > John,
                        > > >
                        > > > I am assuming you are referring to the old "PS2" mouse and keyboard connectors ?
                        > > >
                        > > > I believe those are 6 pin connectors, and wold be slightly smaller ... and would have an alignment pin in between the connector pins ...
                        > > >
                        > > > On the camera, I count 9 pins, AND an extra space between one set ....
                        > > > I think it is called a mini-din, but I am not certain .....
                        > > >
                        > > > thanks for your reply ..... I am looking for one of my old style mice just to verify ...
                        > > >
                        > > > John

                      • John
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 26, 2013
                          Thanks Andy,

                          According to Gregg, the cable is wired pin for pin straight thru ....

                          I found some 15 footers on Amazon by following the previous link and have ordered two of them to be safe .... if needed, I can always do some splicing if I can confirm the wring if it is not that way ....

                          Wish me luck ....