Re: [MeadeUncensored] Re: My Sky...

  • Clifton Hipsher
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 10, 2012
      Dick:

      Other than hardware failures, the main issues with My Sky were flakey GPS reciever performance, and system hangs with firmware 1.2q.  Apparently 1.2q chokes on dates past Dec 31st, 2007.  1.2tc takes care of that.

      Too bad the My Sky site is full of scamer e-mail...  I'd really like to dig through their archives and files sections....

      Clear Skies...

      Cliff Hipsher
      ICC USN (Ret.)
      '03 883 XLH
      I.A.M.B.K.
      Safety is NO accident.
      I Ride.  Therefore I am....

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 10, 2012
        > Due to many issues, Meade "replaced" the MySky with the MySky+
        > (pronounced "plus")
        > It was exactly the same hardware/device, with the GPS disabled by the firmware
        > (perhaps 12t ?) ... that's why you don't want to update.

        No GPS?  Only Meade could call that an upgrade.

        -John
      • autostaretx
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 10, 2012
          --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, Clifton Hipsher <red03sporty@...> wrote:

          > Dick:
          >
          > Other than hardware failures, the main issues with My Sky were flakey GPS reciever performance, and system hangs with firmware 1.2q.  Apparently 1.2q chokes on dates past Dec 31st, 2007.  1.2tc takes care of that.
          >
          > Too bad the My Sky site is full of scamer e-mail...  I'd really like to dig through their archives and files sections....

          The archived (i.e. older) messages are fairly spam-free.
          Only after Meade stopped selling the MySky and new buyers stopped joining (and the owner of the group seemed to have dropped interest) did the spammers take over.

          good luck with it, i'm glad you got a good one
          --dick

          > Clear Skies...
          >
          > Cliff Hipsher
          > ICC USN (Ret.)
          > '03 883 XLH
          > I.A.M.B.K.
          > Safety is NO accident.
          > I Ride.  Therefore I am....
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Clifton Hipsher
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 11, 2012
            John:

            Yeah that does sound a lot like the company we love to hate.  Sometimes I get the feeling there is a 12 year old running things.  My Sky was a good idea, but the execution left something to be desired.

            Apparently the GPS has a tough time seeing birds, and so many owners complained Meade "updated" the firm ware to version 1.3b and disabled GPS.

            Any way, the one I have is runing 1.2tc and it works.  Getting a GPS lock is still flakey, but what the hey, I just entered my data manually and we're in business.

            My 12 year old grand son is gonna flip out when he see's it, and that's what counts.

            Clear Skies

            Cliff Hipsher
            ICC USN (Ret.)
            '03 883 XLH
            I.A.M.B.K.
            Safety is NO accident.
            I Ride.  Therefore I am....

          • Christopher Erickson
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 11, 2012
              The Meade MySky and the Celestron SkyScout are now both
              dead products that will never see life again. Killed by
              smartphones and tablets running Google Sky, Sky Safari,
              Astromist, Mobile Observatory, SkEye, etc.

              Such is life!

              Christopher Erickson
              Consulting Engineer
              Summit Kinetics
              Waikoloa, HI 96738
              www.summitkinetics.com

[...]

              Internal Virus Database is out of date.
            • Clifton Hipsher
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 11, 2012
                Yep, it is sad, but that's the price of progress.

                Be that as it may,  I have a soft spot for orphaned technology, and this thing is kinda cool....

                Cliff Hipsher
                ICC USN (Ret.)
                '03 883 XLH
                I.A.M.B.K.