FW: [space-modelers] OT Patrick Moore.

  • Rod Mollise
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 9, 2012
      -----Original Message-----
      From: space-modelers@yahoogroups.com [mailto:space-modelers@yahoogroups.com]
      On Behalf Of Rod Mollise
      Sent: Sunday, December 09, 2012 8:26 AM
      To: space-modelers@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [space-modelers] OT Patrick Moore.

      I will be in mourning, that is for sure.

      Uncle Rod Mollise
      Contributing Editor Sky and Telescope Magazine Uncle Rod's Astroblog:
      <http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com>

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 9, 2012
        It was his book on "Astronomy Illustrated" that whetted my interest in
        the subject, years ago. I still have a copy around here, and treasure it.

        I never saw more than a few tid-bits of his program, since it was a BBC
        production, but I am sure that literally thousands of people became
        engaged in the hobby and perhaps even in a career, because of his work.

        R.I.P Sir Patrick !

        Jim S.

> [...]

      • P. Clay Sherrod
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 9, 2012
          With virtually ever member of this group having had some influence by one of his
          books, we all have benefited by the volumes of information that helped mold the
          foundations of amateur astronomy.
          He helped to popularize astronomy to the public on such basic terms that all
          could understand. Very sad, but Patrick Moore had an incredibly rich and
          rewarding life all the way to the end.
          That is what life is all about: passing on your passion and knowledge to the
          generations coming after you.

          Dr. Clay
          _____
          Arkansas Sky Observatories
          MPC H45 - Petit Jean Mountain South
          MPC H41 - Petit Jean Mountain
          MPC H43 - Conway West
          http://www.arksky.org/

          > It was his book on "Astronomy Illustrated" that whetted my interest in
          > the subject, years ago. I still have a copy around here, and treasure it.
          >
          > I never saw more than a few tid-bits of his program, since it was a BBC
          > production, but I am sure that literally thousands of people became
          > engaged in the hobby and perhaps even in a career, because of his work.
          >
          > R.I.P Sir Patrick !
          >
          > Jim S.

        • Rick Evans
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 9, 2012
            On 12/9/2012 10:01 AM, Rod Mollise wrote:

            Sad but not unexpected news as the great man's been ailing for some time.

            First serious amateur astronomy books I ever read were Moore's and I
            read them cover to cover.

            The guy was a great writer. I must admit I never got past being a mere
            sky gazer.

            Clear, light pollution free skies and observe in peace, Sir Patrick.