Re: [MeadeUncensored] Linux vs Windows

  • Randall Scarberry
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 2, 2012
      I use both Windows 7 and Linux.  My newer HP TouchSmart has Windows 7 and my two older HPs run Linux Mint and CentOS.  Linux has tons and tons of quality software and I've never paid a cent for any of it.  Of course, most of the really good open source programs have also been ported to Windows.

      But to appreciate Linux, you need to know a little more about computers than the typical Windows user.  If you don't know what "the shell" is, stick with Windows unless you're willing to read a computer book or two.

      And you can have both...  Get a new laptop with Windows 7, then download and install Ubuntu on a separate partition.  Make it dual boot.  If it has a big hard disk, you can have the install disk just partition off 100GB or so for Ubuntu.  I have a dual boot netbook.

      Randy S.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 2, 2012
        Well, xephem may be a very good program.  I haven't tried it yet.  I'm an experienced Linux geek and I spent an hour at least getting it to compile.  The install instructions leave out some essential details.

        1)  You have to be able to compile the program from source.  So, if you're on an Ubuntu or Mint system, you need to run this first:

          sudo apt-get install build-essential

        This installs the compiler, make, and a bunch of other things you need in order to build from source.

        2) You need to be sure you have some other dependencies installed:

          sudo apt-get install lesstif2-dev libxmu-dev

        This must install the X11 header files and the motif shared libraries.

        3)  Then you must fix one of the make files.  Assuming you unpacked the source into the directory xephem-3.7.5, the file you need to edit is xephem-3.7.4/libz/Makefile.  Unfortunately, it's not editable at first, so you have to run:

            chmod +w xephem-3.7.4/libz/Makefile

        Then open it in a text editor such as gedit, kate, or nano:

            gedit xephem-3.7.4/libz/Makefile

        Change the lines at the top to:

        CC = gcc
        CLDFLAGS = -g
        CFLAGS = $(CLDFLAGS) -Wall -O2
        LDFLAGS =

        Then, down near the bottom, change the line "cc $(LDFLAGS) -o testzlib testzlib.o libz.a" to:

        $(CC) $(LDFLAGS) -o testzlib testzlib.o libz.a

        DO NOT DELETE THE TAB at the beginning of this line!  It has to be a tab, not spaces.

        4)  Now you should be ready to compile.  Run these commands:

        cd xephem-3.7.5/GUI/xephem
        make MOTIF=/usr/lib

        5) After waiting a while and seeing a lot of text spew across your terminal, you should able to run the program with:

        ./xephem

        I found a lot of this info on:  http://www.tc.umn.edu/~brams006/xephem_ubuntu.html

        Randy S.

        ________________________________

        "

        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 2, 2012
          The page I found the info on was working with xephem-3.7.4.  Just substitute 3.7.5 if you download the latest stable version.

          ________________________________

> [...]

          > _anything_.

          You are so ignorant about Linux I wonder how you can work for the
          government per your frequent comments about working for the US Navy
          in the sct-user group and be so unaware since the US Government and
          businesses successfully use Linux and most of the world's websites
          are running Linux.

          And its almost 100% certain your bank is using Linux for all your
          financial transactions. Wall street operates using Linux almost 100%.

          > Why switch to Linux only to run all your software on some kind of
          > pea-picking emulator?!

          Huh? Linux software runs natively on Linux systems similar to how
          Windows-related software runs native on Windows boxes.

          > XP is very forgiving in that regard.

          And will totally desupported by Microsoft on April 14, 2024; its
          mainstream support already ended on April 14, 2009 per:

        • Kent
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 5, 2012
            I have been in the computer industry for over 30 years, the last 15 as a developer. I am experienced in many operating systems and could use Linux quite well if I wished.

            This is probably the strongest argument I have ever seen form 99% of computer users to NOT use Linux.

            Kent

            --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, Randall Scarberry <drrandys@...> wrote:

            > Well, xephem may be a very good program.  I haven't tried it yet.  I'm an experienced Linux geek and I spent an hour at least getting it to compile.  The install instructions leave out some essential details.
            >
            > 1)  You have to be able to compile the program from source.  So, if you're on an Ubuntu or Mint system, you need to run this first:
            >
            >   sudo apt-get install build-essential
            >
            > This installs the compiler, make, and a bunch of other things you need in order to build from source.
            >
            > 2) You need to be sure you have some other dependencies installed:
            >
            >   sudo apt-get install lesstif2-dev libxmu-dev
            >
            > This must install the X11 header files and the motif shared libraries.
            >
            > 3)  Then you must fix one of the make files.  Assuming you unpacked the source into the directory xephem-3.7.5, the file you need to edit is xephem-3.7.4/libz/Makefile.  Unfortunately, it's not editable at first, so you have to run:
            >
            >     chmod +w xephem-3.7.4/libz/Makefile
            >
            > Then open it in a text editor such as gedit, kate, or nano:
            >
            >     gedit xephem-3.7.4/libz/Makefile
            >
            > Change the lines at the top to:
            >
            > CC = gcc
            > CLDFLAGS = -g
            > CFLAGS = $(CLDFLAGS) -Wall -O2
            > LDFLAGS =
            >
            > Then, down near the bottom, change the line "cc $(LDFLAGS) -o testzlib testzlib.o libz.a" to:
            >
            > $(CC) $(LDFLAGS) -o testzlib testzlib.o libz.a
            >
            > DO NOT DELETE THE TAB at the beginning of this line!  It has to be a tab, not spaces.
            >
            > 4)  Now you should be ready to compile.  Run these commands:
            >
            > cd xephem-3.7.5/GUI/xephem
            > make MOTIF=/usr/lib
            >
            > 5) After waiting a while and seeing a lot of text spew across your terminal, you should able to run the program with:
            >
            > ./xephem
            >
            > I found a lot of this info on:  http://www.tc.umn.edu/~brams006/xephem_ubuntu.html
            >
            > Randy S.
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Randall Scarberry
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 5, 2012
              I was wondering when someone would make that point!

              ________________________________
              I have been in the computer industry for over 30 years, the last 15 as a developer. I am experienced in many operating systems and could use Linux quite well if I wished.

              This is probably the strongest argument I have ever seen form 99% of computer users to NOT use Linux.

              Kent

              --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, Randall Scarberry <drrandys@...> wrote:

              > Well, xephem may be a very good program.  I haven't tried it yet.  I'm an experienced Linux geek and I spent an hour at least getting it to compile.  The install instructions leave out some essential details.
              >
              > 1)  You have to be able to compile the program from source.  So, if you're on an Ubuntu or Mint system, you need to run this first:
              >
              >   sudo apt-get install build-essential
              >
              > This installs the compiler, make, and a bunch of other things you need in order to build from source.
              >
              > 2) You need to be sure you have some other dependencies installed:
              >
              >   sudo apt-get install lesstif2-dev libxmu-dev
              >
              > This must install the X11 header files and the motif shared libraries.
              >
              > 3)  Then you must fix one of the make files.  Assuming you unpacked the source into the directory xephem-3.7.5, the file you need to edit is xephem-3.7.4/libz/Makefile.  Unfortunately, it's not editable at first, so you have to run:
              >
              >     chmod +w xephem-3.7.4/libz/Makefile
              >
              > Then open it in a text editor such as gedit, kate, or nano:
              >
              >     gedit xephem-3.7.4/libz/Makefile
              >
              > Change the lines at the top to:
              >
              > CC = gcc
              > CLDFLAGS = -g
              > CFLAGS = $(CLDFLAGS) -Wall -O2
              > LDFLAGS =
              >
              > Then, down near the bottom, change the line "cc $(LDFLAGS) -o testzlib testzlib.o libz.a" to:
              >
              > $(CC) $(LDFLAGS) -o testzlib testzlib.o libz.a
              >
              > DO NOT DELETE THE TAB at the beginning of this line!  It has to be a tab, not spaces.
              >
              > 4)  Now you should be ready to compile.  Run these commands:
              >
              > cd xephem-3.7.5/GUI/xephem
              > make MOTIF=/usr/lib
              >
              > 5) After waiting a while and seeing a lot of text spew across your terminal, you should able to run the program with:
              >
              > ./xephem
              >
              > I found a lot of this info on:  http://www.tc.umn.edu/~brams006/xephem_ubuntu.html
              >
              > Randy S.
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Randall Scarberry
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 5, 2012
                But generally Linux is fairly easy to use and is extremely stable.  But it definitely helps to be somewhat of a computer geek, which I am proud to say that I am.  The only thing I've done with my Linux systems that exceeded the effort of getting xephem to compile was setting up a Hadoop cluster.  What's that?  You don't wanna know....

                ________________________________
                I was wondering when someone would make that point!

                ________________________________
                I have been in the computer industry for over 30 years, the last 15 as a developer. I am experienced in many operating systems and could use Linux quite well if I wished.

                This is probably the strongest argument I have ever seen form 99% of computer users to NOT use Linux.

                Kent

                --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, Randall Scarberry <drrandys@...> wrote:

                > Well, xephem may be a very good program.  I haven't tried it yet.  I'm an experienced Linux geek and I spent an hour at least getting it to compile.  The install instructions leave out some essential details.
                >
                > 1)  You have to be able to compile the program from source.  So, if you're on an Ubuntu or Mint system, you need to run this first:
                >
                >   sudo apt-get install build-essential
                >
                > This installs the compiler, make, and a bunch of other things you need in order to build from source.
                >
                > 2) You need to be sure you have some other dependencies installed:
                >
                >   sudo apt-get install lesstif2-dev libxmu-dev
                >
                > This must install the X11 header files and the motif shared libraries.
                >
                > 3)  Then you must fix one of the make files.  Assuming you unpacked the source into the directory xephem-3.7.5, the file you need to edit is xephem-3.7.4/libz/Makefile.  Unfortunately, it's not editable at first, so you have to run:
                >
                >     chmod +w xephem-3.7.4/libz/Makefile
                >
                > Then open it in a text editor such as gedit, kate, or nano:
                >
                >     gedit xephem-3.7.4/libz/Makefile
                >
                > Change the lines at the top to:
                >
                > CC = gcc
                > CLDFLAGS = -g
                > CFLAGS = $(CLDFLAGS) -Wall -O2
                > LDFLAGS =
                >
                > Then, down near the bottom, change the line "cc $(LDFLAGS) -o testzlib testzlib.o libz.a" to:
                >
                > $(CC) $(LDFLAGS) -o testzlib testzlib.o libz.a
                >
                > DO NOT DELETE THE TAB at the beginning of this line!  It has to be a tab, not spaces.
                >
                > 4)  Now you should be ready to compile.  Run these commands:
                >
                > cd xephem-3.7.5/GUI/xephem
                > make MOTIF=/usr/lib
                >
                > 5) After waiting a while and seeing a lot of text spew across your terminal, you should able to run the program with:
                >
                > ./xephem
                >
                > I found a lot of this info on:  http://www.tc.umn.edu/~brams006/xephem_ubuntu.html
                >
                > Randy S.
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Randall Scarberry
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 5, 2012
                  And my difficulty getting xephem to compile is not an indictment of Linux, it's an indictment of xephem.  He/they/she/or whoever they are should provide a robust installer or better instructions.  This program isn't mentioned for windows because it is unthinkable to expect a windows user to compile a program from source, let alone with incomplete instructions.

                  ________________________________
                  But generally Linux is fairly easy to use and is extremely stable.  But it definitely helps to be somewhat of a computer geek, which I am proud to say that I am.  The only thing I've done with my Linux systems that exceeded the effort of getting xephem to compile was setting up a Hadoop cluster.  What's that?  You don't wanna know....

                  ________________________________
                  I was wondering when someone would make that point!

                  ________________________________
                  I have been in the computer industry for over 30 years, the last 15 as a developer. I am experienced in many operating systems and could use Linux quite well if I wished.

                  This is probably the strongest argument I have ever seen form 99% of computer users to NOT use Linux.

                  Kent

                  --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, Randall Scarberry <drrandys@...> wrote:

                  > Well, xephem may be a very good program.  I haven't tried it yet.  I'm an experienced Linux geek and I spent an hour at least getting it to compile.  The install instructions leave out some essential details.
                  >
                  > 1)  You have to be able to compile the program from source.  So, if you're on an Ubuntu or Mint system, you need to run this first:
                  >
                  >   sudo apt-get install build-essential
                  >
                  > This installs the compiler, make, and a bunch of other things you need in order to build from source.
                  >
                  > 2) You need to be sure you have some other dependencies installed:
                  >
                  >   sudo apt-get install lesstif2-dev libxmu-dev
                  >
                  > This must install the X11 header files and the motif shared libraries.
                  >
                  > 3)  Then you must fix one of the make files.  Assuming you unpacked the source into the directory xephem-3.7.5, the file you need to edit is xephem-3.7.4/libz/Makefile.  Unfortunately, it's not editable at first, so you have to run:
                  >
                  >     chmod +w xephem-3.7.4/libz/Makefile
                  >
                  > Then open it in a text editor such as gedit, kate, or nano:
                  >
                  >     gedit xephem-3.7.4/libz/Makefile
                  >
                  > Change the lines at the top to:
                  >
                  > CC = gcc
                  > CLDFLAGS = -g
                  > CFLAGS = $(CLDFLAGS) -Wall -O2
                  > LDFLAGS =
                  >
                  > Then, down near the bottom, change the line "cc $(LDFLAGS) -o testzlib testzlib.o libz.a" to:
                  >
                  > $(CC) $(LDFLAGS) -o testzlib testzlib.o libz.a
                  >
                  > DO NOT DELETE THE TAB at the beginning of this line!  It has to be a tab, not spaces.
                  >
                  > 4)  Now you should be ready to compile.  Run these commands:
                  >
                  > cd xephem-3.7.5/GUI/xephem
                  > make MOTIF=/usr/lib
                  >
                  > 5) After waiting a while and seeing a lot of text spew across your terminal, you should able to run the program with:
                  >
                  > ./xephem
                  >
                  > I found a lot of this info on:  http://www.tc.umn.edu/~brams006/xephem_ubuntu.html
                  >
                  > Randy S.
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • Bruce MacEvoy
                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 6, 2012
                    and with all that we can make two announcements:

                    * the judgment of rod mollise has been fully vindicated.
                    * this is a meade telescope forum; the linux portion of our entertainment has been concluded.

                    bruce

                  • Rick Evans
                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 8, 2012
                      What's so hard about that? :))

                      -- Anonymous woman to Jeff Goldbloom character at book party in movie
                      Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

                    • gjwcac
                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 10, 2012
                        Rick,

                        lol!
                        Linux proves that for some people, the (arduous) journey is the reward. ;-)

                        Jim M.

                        --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, Rick Evans <rickevans033050@...> wrote:

                        > What's so hard about that? :))
                        >
                        > -- Anonymous woman to Jeff Goldbloom character at book party in movie
                        > Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
                        >

                        > On 10/2/2012 11:26 PM, Randall Scarberry wrote:
                        > > Well, xephem may be a very good program. I haven't tried it yet. I'm
                        > > an experienced Linux geek and I spent an hour at least getting it to
                        > > compile. The install instructions leave out some essential details.
                        > >
                        > > 1) You have to be able to compile the program from source. So, if
                        > > you're on an Ubuntu or Mint system, you need to run this first:
                        > >
                        > > sudo apt-get install build-essential
                        > >
                        > > This installs the compiler, make, and a bunch of other things you need
                        > > in order to build from source.
                        > >
                        > > 2) You need to be sure you have some other dependencies installed:
                        > >
                        > > sudo apt-get install lesstif2-dev libxmu-dev
                        > >
                        > > This must install the X11 header files and the motif shared libraries.
                        > >
                        > > 3) Then you must fix one of the make files. Assuming you unpacked the
                        > > source into the directory xephem-3.7.5, the file you need to edit is
                        > > xephem-3.7.4/libz/Makefile. Unfortunately, it's not editable at first,
                        > > so you have to run:
                        > >
                        > > chmod +w xephem-3.7.4/libz/Makefile
                        > >
                        > > Then open it in a text editor such as gedit, kate, or nano:
                        > >
                        > > gedit xephem-3.7.4/libz/Makefile
                        > >
                        > > Change the lines at the top to:
                        > >
                        > > CC = gcc
                        > > CLDFLAGS = -g
                        > > CFLAGS = $(CLDFLAGS) -Wall -O2
                        > > LDFLAGS =
                        > >
                        > > Then, down near the bottom, change the line "cc $(LDFLAGS) -o testzlib
                        > > testzlib.o libz.a" to:
                        > >
                        > > $(CC) $(LDFLAGS) -o testzlib testzlib.o libz.a
                        > >
                        > > DO NOT DELETE THE TAB at the beginning of this line! It has to be a
                        > > tab, not spaces.
                        > >
                        > > 4) Now you should be ready to compile. Run these commands:
                        > >
                        > > cd xephem-3.7.5/GUI/xephem
                        > > make MOTIF=/usr/lib
                        > >
                        > > 5) After waiting a while and seeing a lot of text spew across your
                        > > terminal, you should able to run the program with:
                        > >
                        > > ./xephem
                        > >
                        > > I found a lot of this info on:
                        > > http://www.tc.umn.edu/~brams006/xephem_ubuntu.html
                        > > <http://www.tc.umn.edu/%7Ebrams006/xephem_ubuntu.html>
                        > >
                        > > Randy S.
                        > >
                        > > ________________________________

                      • Gregory
                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 10, 2012
                          Hello,

                          Does anyone know the weight of an LX200 classic OTA? All I can find is the weight of the whole telescope.

                          TIA
                          Gregory

                        • Christopher Willis
                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 10, 2012
                            What size?

                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 11, 2012
                              Ooops!

                              I have should have said the 10in OTA.

                              Thanks!
                              Gregory

                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 13, 2012
                                No, it isn't Linux' fault for the arduous journey, it xephem's.  I bet getting it to work on windows would be a lot harder.  I'm not going to take the time to prove it, but I suspect it would involve installing cygwin with compilation tools and an x-window emulator, and then spending 2 or 3 hours tweaking make files and installing prerequisites in order to get it to compile.  Then to use it, you'd have to write a batch file to start up the x-window emulator within which to run xephem.

                                Randy