Re: [MeadeUncensored] Looking for a Meade equitorial drive motor

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2012
      hris

      Thanks for the information. I'll check into this.

      Mark

      --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Erickson" <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:

      > I assume you are talking about the spur gears inside of the motor.
      >
      > If you can't find the exact motor you need, you can replace it with a
      > stepper motor and a microcontroller to drive it, such as Arduino, etc.
      >
      > That would allow you to run on battery power as well, not to mention
      > different tracking rates, guide corrector and the Southern Hemisphere
      > operation.
      >
      > http://www.sparkfun.com/products/11021
      >
      > http://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Stepper
      >
      > Making a shaft adapter would be a cinch for someone with a hobby lathe or
      > for a regular machine shop.
      >
      > http://www.taigtools.com/mlathe.html
      >
      > http://www.sherline.com/4000pg.htm
      >
      > Christopher Erickson
      > Consulting Engineer
      > Summit Kinetics
      > Waikoloa, HI 96738
      > www.summitkinetics.com

    • Christopher Erickson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2012
        If you get overwhelmed let me know. Maybe I could find some spare time
        fab together a circuit for you and bang out some simple microcontroller
        code for you to start with.

        I am currently busy working engineering projects for eight observatories
        (even one for Keck!) but I should have some spare time come August or
        September.

        And there are a number of top-notch microcontroller programmers over in
        the RoboScope Yahoo group as well.

        Christopher Erickson
        Consulting Engineer
        Summit Kinetics
        Waikoloa, HI 96738
        www.summitkinetics.com

        Thanks for the information. I'll check into this.

        Mark

        --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Erickson"
        <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:

        > I assume you are talking about the spur gears inside of the motor.
        >
        > If you can't find the exact motor you need, you can replace it with a
        > stepper motor and a microcontroller to drive it, such as Arduino, etc.
        >
        > That would allow you to run on battery power as well, not to mention
        > different tracking rates, guide corrector and the Southern Hemisphere
        > operation.
        >
        > http://www.sparkfun.com/products/11021
        >
        > http://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Stepper
        >
        > Making a shaft adapter would be a cinch for someone with a hobby lathe or
        > for a regular machine shop.
        >
        > http://www.taigtools.com/mlathe.html
        >
        > http://www.sherline.com/4000pg.htm
        >
        > Christopher Erickson
        > Consulting Engineer
        > Summit Kinetics
        > Waikoloa, HI 96738
        > www.summitkinetics.com

      • Mark
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6, 2012
          Thanks Chris - I may take you up on your offer