LPI, DSI II, USB to serial adapters and the Transit of Venus

  • stargazer30721@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2 4:01 PM
      I'm sorta bummed out. It's been awhile since I've had my scopes out and the transit of Venus got me motivated.

      Well, my old XP laptop that I used for my scopes is dead. I was able to download Starpatch and ASU to my new Windoze 7 laptop but cannot get the old serial adapter to work or find drivers for it (Prolific). Now I can't find any drivers for the LPI. I finally got the DSI II working but have no scope control.

      I have a lot of money invested in my ETX125 and 14" LX200GPS to not use my accessories. Does Meade even make a camera anymore?

      Any advice to refresh my setup? These are good accessories and scopes, I'm not ready to throw them out!!
    • Mark Acker
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2 4:42 PM
        Keyspans have never not worked for me.  I have 3 for various hardware on various OSes and they've never failed.  The USA19HS is the one I have.  Unfortunately, I don't know where you might be able to find them locally before the transit.  I ordered mine from Newegg.

        Mark

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2 6:38 PM
          Prolific drivers are available from the prolific site

          The Prolific side needs a log in, gust accounts are ok but if
          you can't be bothered or don't want to give
          your email address they are available here as
          well

          http://usbserialdrivers.com/

          The LPI drivers and the DSI drivers will be on the install CD's for the
          equipment. I doubt if there will be any W7 drivers of them.

          If you cannot get the Win7 to load up the required software then you
          could try running a virtual machine on it. (I think this is what the XP
          compatibility mode did in some MS sox, but I'm more familiar running
          something like virtualbox, if you go that route use the download from
          the sun site as that will have the USB devices enabled. You can use your
          XP install disks from your old laptop to build the VM.

          There is no guarantee that it will work with the various software
          packages that you have, but the only cost is a bit of time to try it out.

          Depending on your laptop another option may be to arrange a dual boot
          setup with either a sep partition or a sep hard drive (my preferred
          method) Load that with an XP setup for astro use.

          All very fiddly but this is the sort of thing you have to consider with
          old hardware.

          Andy