Putting my 14" Meade back on my ME mount?

  • waynewatson95959
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2012
      Well, I had my OTA repaired and it's about time to put it back on my Paramount ME. Two of us took it off out of necessity. I sure wasn't going to do it on my own, since my back would not be happy raising the 50+ pounds into the cradle.

      I have a pair of Parallax rings (the cradle). Each ring is composed of two semi-circles with a pivot one one side, and 180 degrees away is a ring lock. If you opened the ring it would like a UU. The OTA sits in one of the rings, and someone is needed to lock them together.

      My first question is about the versa-plate the rings that are attached to it. The plate is 20" long and about 7" wide. In the past, I've put the rings almost to the limits of the versa-plate, 18". However, I started thinking that maybe 12-14" separation might be better. That way I can actually shove the OTA back and forth several inches.

      There are two "black collars" around each end of the OTA. The bottom one protrudes into the OTA about 5" and the one at the top about 4". The distance between the insides is about 20". In my previous configuration, I could not slip the OTA more than an inch or two. If I arrange the ring separation to 12-14", I will have more room to position the OTA. Although the Dec plate (assembly) under the versa-plate is such that it is forward to get the mirror end closer to the center of the Dec plate. This raises the question whether I really need such a big separation?

      The second question is what is the "easiest" way to put the OTA on the cradle (C-rings)? What we did to get it off was, from the back,rotate the axes such that the U (bottom half of the ring) is about at 9 o'clock. We then unlocked the upper rings and took them off, then lowered the OTA onto a table below us. That's a bit hairy, since the bottom of the rings are at about 273 degrees (a bit past 9 o'clock. Kinda like standing on the edge of a wall. I'm sure we can reverse all this to get the OTA back into the rings, but that slim "edge" is bothersome.

      Comments?

      It's unfortunate, that there isn't a tall legged table we could put near the edge to provide some comfort. It would need to be about 5 feet or maybe 5' 3".
    • waynewatson95959
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2012
        Well, this is essentially solved. I decided to call the repairman who has plenty of experience with telescopes. He said keep the ring closer together. Further, just point the scope north and slide it on the corks into position.