[MeadeUncensored] LX200GPS Ribbon Cable Saga - The Final Product

  • jp071848
    Message 1 of 109 , Apr 2, 2011
      Thanks to everyone who so quickly chimed in and offered help and support. Apologies also to those experts who I PO'd with my blundering attempts at learning about wiring and connectors, but I have put together a cable I'm happy with. I plugged it in and ran the annoyingly long "Automatic" alignment, which I never use anyway, and everything worked perfectly.

      Rather than use a ribbon cable, I chose to use seven individual 22 gauge wires, which I crimped and soldered to the pins that came with the Tyco/Digikey connectors. Only screwed up one pin out of the 14, so it was a good thing I ordered extra connectors and pins. Initial continuity check was perfect. To clean things up and make it look more "professional" (OK, a lit less amateurish), I wrapped the harness in a nice Kevlar-looking braided cable wrap which should help protect it from the inevitable rubbing it will encounter during slews. I will not be bonding it to the altitude trunnion a la Meade.

      I've posted a few photos in the "LX200GPS Level Sensor Ribbon Cable" folder

      Thanks again for everyone's help.

      Jeff

      --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "N2JXL" <stevejxl@...> wrote:

      > Thanks!
      >
      > That's a 7-position .025" square post header connector with .10 spacing.
      > I've got dozens in every size, no worries.
      >
      > Is this a straight-thru cable? 7pin to 7pin?
      > And how long do you want this?
      >
      > give me an address too, I'll gladly drop one in the mail..
      >
      > Steve
      > N2JXL
      >

      > stevejxl at optonline dot net
      >

      > --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@> wrote:
      > >
      > > It's in this group's Photos area,
      > > in the "LX200GPS Level Sensor" folder/album. This may work:
      > >
      > > Otherwise, start here:
      > >
      > > The cable is tenth-inch spacing, probably 24 gauge (but maybe 22)
      > > with 7 conductors.
      > >
      > > (the Jameco item i posted many days ago has 24 gauge...)
      > >
      > > have fun
      > > --dick
      > >
      > > --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "N2JXL" <stevejxl@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Ok.. You guys are killing me..
      > > >
      > > > I'm not sure who startd this thread, but could you get me a pic of the ribbon connector you are talking about?
      > > > I have plenty of parts here in my shop and will gladly fabricate/donate the cable in question...
      > > >
      > > > stevejxl@
      > > >
      > > > Steve
      > > > N2JXL

    • smokindok
      Message 109 of 109 , Apr 3, 2011
        Thanks, Jeff, for the additional information. I appreciate all the research you did on this!

        I think the factory style strain relief is a sound design, but the ribbon cable wasn't up to constantly flexing at the same spot. Your cable will likely handle the flexing much better. I am thinking the double stick tape along with adding a cable tie mount, stuck on the trunnion with auto molding type double sided tape, where the cable is gathered together at the trunnion would work well.

        John