[MeadeUncensored] Re: MAPUG?

  • thad_floryan
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2011
      --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, John Mahony <jmmahony@...> wrote:

      > This was just discussed on the LX200 group. Mapug was down for a few months,
      > then came back recently, but is now down again.
      >
      > The guy who maintains/ed it is/was Tim Long. You can find him on the ASCOM-Talk
      > yahoo group
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ASCOM-Talk>
      >
      > There's a pdf of the Topical archives and Doc G's site at
      > <http://wideman.org/MAPUG/>
      > (which I suspect Thad could also use to create a mirror site).

      Thanks for that URL reference. I downloaded those PDFs (and the ZIPs)
      and though they're useful it's not the same as a real site mirror.

      I've been mirroring Meade's site on one of my home LAN systems for years
      now and I publicly mirrored a portion of RexResearch's web site which
      pertained to the Rolamite (no friction, no lube) bearing when they had
      server problems. I still mirror it at <http://thadlabs.com/Rolamite>
      "just in case". Mirroring MAPUG would be no problem at all -- I have
      plenty of disk space and the system remains up for years at a time:

      thadlabs bash 5922/5925> date
      Tue Feb 1 11:15:17 PST 2011
      thadlabs bash 5922/5925> uptime
      11:15AM up 925 days, 14:24, 4 users, load averages: 0.03, 0.03, 0.00
      thadlabs bash 5922/5925> df
      Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
      /dev/aacd0a 492863 40221 413212 9% /
      /dev/aacd0e 273417193 205158333 51853828 80% /usr
      procfs 4 4 0 100% /proc
      /dev/aacd1a 492863 40221 413213 9% /backup
      /dev/aacd1e 265365585 205467196 38669142 84% /backup/usr
      thadlabs bash 5922/5925>
    • thad_floryan
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2011
        OK, I found a mirror of MAPUG from 2005 on one of my laptops. The entire
        site mirror is only about 30MB so I copied it to my public website.

        As you'll note on the mirror's "home" page, the date of the MAPUG site
        mirror is 5-JAN-2005. That "should" include 99.99% of everything that's
        ever been posted to MAPUG including Doc G's stuff.

        Feel welcome to browse <http://thadlabs.com/Mapug/>.

        I didn't check for "hardcoded" links (as opposed to relative links) so
        if you encounter anything strange lemme know. The search engine "works"
        but I haven't checked to see where its database is/was located and/or
        whether it's even using the same engine I have; a few quick tests didn't
        find anything. :-)

        If/when the "real" MAPUG site ever returns, I'll update the mirror and
        be sure the search engine functions properly.

        In the meantime, I hope you find the mirror useful.
      • Mark Acker
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2011
          Very cool.  Thank you Thad!

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2011