Re: Meade shoots self in foot with LightSwitch.

  • Lou
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2010
      Aren't these the same mini sd cards that fit in cell phones,some are 4gb just a thought

      --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "johnbsb" <johnbsb@...> wrote:

      > Hi Everyone,
      > As a long term LX user with no complaints I ordered my son an LS8ACF, which is at present in a UPS truck somewhere on it's way to me. To get a head start I downloaded the LS manual and now the fun starts! The light Switch is equipped with a mini SD card slot to upload firmware and download pictures taken with the on board camera. Mini SD cards are obsolete in all the main stores, even New Egg which usually have everything. Adapters from mini to micro seem to be unobtainable as well. I am awaiting Meades response before turning the UPS truck back, but I'm not hopeful that Meade have a realistic answer.
      > Clear Sky's
      > johnbsb

    • Thomas Skinner
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1, 2010
        I certainly wouldn't let the SD issue be a deal breaker for this scope.
        There gazillions of these things around. Have you checked out the on-line
        stores? Go to ebay and search on SD cards. You'll get more hits than you
        will want to check. Just pick out one that has an on-line store ("Check out
        my on-line store!"). They may come from Hong Kong, but the shipping is
        usually faster from Hong Kong to Virginia than from the west coast - and
        cheaper!

        Tom

        On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Lou <loubandit4012@...> wrote:

        > Aren't these the same mini sd cards that fit in cell phones,some are 4gb
        > just a thought
        >
        > --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com<Meade-Uncensored%40yahoogroups.com>,
        > "johnbsb" <johnbsb@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Everyone,
        > > As a long term LX user with no complaints I ordered my son an LS8ACF,
        > which is at present in a UPS truck somewhere on it's way to me. To get a
        > head start I downloaded the LS manual and now the fun starts! The light
        > Switch is equipped with a mini SD card slot to upload firmware and download
        > pictures taken with the on board camera. Mini SD cards are obsolete in all
        > the main stores, even New Egg which usually have everything. Adapters from
        > mini to micro seem to be unobtainable as well. I am awaiting Meades response
        > before turning the UPS truck back, but I'm not hopeful that Meade have a
        > realistic answer.
        > > Clear Sky's
        > > johnbsb

      • johnbsb
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 1, 2010
          Thanks for the input everyone,
          I've found some Kingston Micro cards that come with SD and Mini adapters. I've ordered 3 just to be sure that if the mini size does disappear from the market I will have plenty of backup. Might seem like overkill but I remember what happened to optical drives, SCSI connectors and syquest cartridges.
          Thanks and C/S's
          johnbsb
        • antimatter33
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 8, 2010
            I just don't understand why a person would come to a telescope forum and whine about not being able to find memory cards. Show some heart!

            I recently found an old SmartMedia card for my Yamaha QY100 synthesizer. That card is deader than Julius Caesar. No qvetsching was required.

            -drl

            --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "johnbsb" <johnbsb@...> wrote:

            > Hi Everyone,
            > As a long term LX user with no complaints I ordered my son an LS8ACF, which is at present in a UPS truck somewhere on it's way to me. To get a head start I downloaded the LS manual and now the fun starts! The light Switch is equipped with a mini SD card slot to upload firmware and download pictures taken with the on board camera. Mini SD cards are obsolete in all the main stores, even New Egg which usually have everything. Adapters from mini to micro seem to be unobtainable as well. I am awaiting Meades response before turning the UPS truck back, but I'm not hopeful that Meade have a realistic answer.
            > Clear Sky's
            > johnbsb

          • autostaretx
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 8, 2010
              I must disagree ... the miniSD -has- become an uncommon card,
              but it's needed to even -use- the camera (beyond as a finder).

              I'd be much happier if Meade supplied at least *one* with the scope.
              (if you even have a firmware download mess up, you WILL need a properly-prepared miniSD "card" to recover.)

              good luck
              --dick