hopong for an answer

  • elks997
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2010
      Have a Meade LX200 GPS 8" approx 8 years old. Has been stored for about 4 years in the house in a steady climate. I decided to take it out and when I did, it did everything it used to, except when it went to slew to the first alignment star, the viewing end of the scope wanted to pass thru the forks and a stalled motor message came up. I immediatley shut it off. It did this several times before I quit. The motors run fine thru out their range, however the verticle motor gives a stalled message even thou the motor is running and the tube is moving. Anyone have any ideas, would love to get this going without a trip to Meade as I live in New England.

      Thank you
    • Clifton Hipsher
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2010
        Well, after sitting for that long, things are bound to get "sticky".  A stalled
        motor fault tells me the computer is sensing an excessive current draw
        which could be caused by binding, lack of lubrication, or some other mechanical
        problem.

        I don't have that particular scope/mount, but I do know it has gear trains.  I'd
        start off by removing any inspection covers and give the gear trains a visual
        inspection.  Look for things like dry spots (no grease), "gunk" build up,
        loose/missing set screws (LXD75 mounts are notorious for having loose set
        screws), mis-meshed gears, wear marks, metal dust, and any other signs
        indicative of rubbing or binding.

        Once you have finished the visual, turn the mount on and watch the "sick" gear
        train while you slew the mount.  Listen to the gears as well.  A gear train that
        is under a heavier load will have a "slower" pitch than that of a "normal" gear
        train.  If the gear/motor pitch varies as the mount is moving, there could be
        high spots, bent shafts, or localized mesh issues...

        Cliff Hipsher
        ICC USN (Ret.)
        '03 883 XLH
        I.A.M.B.K.
        Safety is NO accident.
        I Ride.  Therefore I am....

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2010
          Perhaps the major cause of the Meade Motor Stall message is not actually a stalled nor
          errant motor: it is lack of adequate voltage or irregular voltage being supplied to the
          motor. This is the case with telescopes from the ETX through the RCX line.

          The first place that I would look would be the power supply and any power cables.

          Dr. Clay
          _____
          Arkansas Sky Observatories
          MPC H45 - Petit Jean Mountain South
          MPC H41 - Petit Jean Mountain
          MPC H43 - Conway West
          http://www.arksky.org/

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1, 2010
            From my experience, what Doc Clay said is true.  I have had the motor stall experience with two 14" SCT's, and a 13.8 vdc power supply permanently cured the motor stall problem each time.

            Jim

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 1, 2010
              Hi
              I don't have a LX200GPS anymore but I have an ETX70 that regularly displays motor stalled. This is a sure indication that it is time to change the batteries. New batteries or an external PS have cured it every time.

              Barry

              --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "elks997" <elks997@...> wrote:

              > Have a Meade LX200 GPS 8" approx 8 years old. Has been stored for about 4 years in the house in a steady climate. I decided to take it out and when I did, it did everything it used to, except when it went to slew to the first alignment star, the viewing end of the scope wanted to pass thru the forks and a stalled motor message came up. I immediatley shut it off. It did this several times before I quit. The motors run fine thru out their range, however the verticle motor gives a stalled message even thou the motor is running and the tube is moving. Anyone have any ideas, would love to get this going without a trip to Meade as I live in New England.
              >
              > Thank you

            • Clifton Hipsher
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 1, 2010
                Yep, as they say in the Harley world, "Most fuel/carb problems are
                electrical..."

                I also recall a recent thread some where about an LXD75 that was acting stupid.
                Turned out to be the power source....

                Thanks for jogging the old brain cells....  Now if I could just find my car
                keys.....

                Cliff Hipsher
                ICC USN (Ret.)
                '03 883 XLH
                I.A.M.B.K.
                Safety is NO accident.
                I Ride.  Therefore I am....

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 1, 2010
                  Gday Clifton

                  Just to clarify a point on the warning message.

                  --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, Clifton Hipsher <red03sporty@...> wrote:

                  > A stalled motor fault tells me the computer is sensing an
                  > excessive current draw which could be caused by binding,
                  > lack of lubrication, or some other mechanical problem.

                  That message appears mainly due to the CPU commanding a move,
                  and not getting fedback to say its happened.
                  It doesnt appear to measure current draw
                  Ie a truly stalled motor will trip it, but so would a dead encoder.

                  Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia
                • Clifton Hipsher
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 1, 2010
                    Sounds good to me.  Much easier to implement digitally too.....  I just tend to
                    hit the mechanical side first.....

                    Cliff Hipsher
                    ICC USN (Ret.)
                    '03 883 XLH