Experts Puzzled By Bright Spot On Venus

  • Wolvenstien
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2009
      from the who-is-throwing-things-at-our-planets dept. posted by Soulskill on
      2009-08-01 15:52:00

      Hugh Pickens <http://hughpickens.com/> writes "BBC reports that astronomers
      are puzzled by a strange bright
      <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8179067.stm> spot which has
      appeared in the clouds of Venus, first identified by US amateur astronomer
      Frank Melillo on 19 July and later confirmed by the European Space Agency's
      Venus Express spacecraft. 'I have seen bright spots before but this one is
      an exceptionally bright and quite intense area,' says Melillo. The bright
      spot has started to expand since its first appearance, being spread by winds
      in Venus' thick atmosphere. Scientists are unsure as to what is causing the
      spot. 'An <http://www.astronomynow.com/news/n0907/21venus/> eruption would
      have to be quite energetic to get a cloud this high,' said Dr. Sanjay Limaye
      of the University of Wisconsin. Furthermore, at a latitude of 50 degrees
      south, the spot lies outside the region of known volcanoes on Venus. Another
      potential source for the bright spot are charged particles from the Sun
      interacting with Venus' atmosphere. It's also possible that atmospheric
      turbulence may have caused bright material to become concentrated in one
      area. 'Right
      <http://www.livescience.com/space/090730-venus-bright-spot.html> now, I
      think it's anybody's guess,' adds Limaye."

      http://www.astronomynow.com/news/n0907/21venus/

      http://www.livescience.com/space/090730-venus-bright-spot.html

    • John Mahony
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2009
        And coincidentally, it was found on the same day that the Australian amateur found the Jupiter impact spot.

        -John