Meade software works on Windows 7 (64-bit)

  • Thad Floryan
    Message 1 of 6 , May 13, 2009
      An interesting question was posed today in the "meade_refractors"
      Yahoo group and it seemed the larger community in this forum would also be interested.

      As I first posted there:

      I've been running the Win7 BETA 32-bit and 64-bit releases since January
      and the Win7 RC (Release Candidate) 32-bit and 64-bit since last week,
      and everything that works on Vista 32-bit and 64-bit works on Win7 --
      except for the additional eye candy and hosed taskbar and lack of much
      printer support, Win7 is essentially Vista Service Pack 2.

      A taskbar-focused screen shot of the BETA release (Jan 2009) is here:

      <http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Win7_BETA_taskbar.png>

      and the same for the RC release (May 2009) is here:

      <http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Win7_RC_taskbar.png>

      Look at the lower-right corner to see the build version.

      I could test the AutoStar Suite, but what about Envisage and the USB
      drivers? Are they available anywhere for (free) testing?

      John Mahony to the rescue: he pointed me to where the software could
      be found. Here's my later response regarding first tests:

      Well, that was quick -- went very fast and very nicely. I didn't know
      the AutoStar Suite was so large -- took almost a minute to download and
      a minute to install. Envisage and the Meade USB-to-serial driver also
      installed fine.

      To set the stage, here's the multi-boot system I've been using for some
      testing not only Vista 64-bit but also Win7 64-bit and some Linux OSs.

      Here's a Vista SP1 desktop with System Info screenshot:

      <http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Vista_SP1_desktop.jpg>

      Same system, Win7 RC with System Info and my APPS folder contents (more
      about that below):

      <http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Win7_RC_desktop.png>

      Though WIndows 7 is simply Vista SP2, Microsoft made user interface
      changes, some of which are extremely annoying. The Start -> Programs
      is the biggest pain in the ass of anything I've seen, and the option
      (as in Vista) for "Classic Menu" has been removed. Worse, the taskbar
      is almost useless in Win7 -- put more than about 5 quick-launchers in
      it and the fit hits the shan.

      So, all the shortcuts that I would normally have in the Taskbar are,
      instead, in the APPS folder (which requires a double-click to start
      instead of the single-click had they been in the Taskbar). Idiots.

      In any event, here's what I downloaded from Meade's site:

      <http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Win7_RC_Meade_Stuff.png>

      And here's a "Control Panel -> Programs and Features" display of all
      the stuff I've installed. Though I first installed Win7 RC last week,
      the taskbar annoyances and other crap forced me to reinstall this past
      weekend (May 10, in case you were wondering about the dates):

      <http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Win7_RC_installed_SW.png>

      The Meade USB-to-serial driver installed fine but I have no real way
      to test it. It appears in the above picture as PL-2303. It doesn't
      show in Device Manager and I don't know if that's normal or not.

      Now for the biggies. Here's a screenshot of the AutoStar Suite:

      <http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Win7_RC_AutoStar_Suite.png>

      I haven't really used that program much on my Vista or WinXP systems,
      but after playing with it for awhile it seems to work fine.

      Here's a screenshot of Meade's Envisage on Win7:

      <http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Win7_RC_Envisage.png>

      I've never used Envisage before, so if there's something or some
      tasks you'd like me to check, please follow up here in this thread.

      Also note that as I wrote before, anything that works under Vista SP1
      "should" work just fine under Windows 7 since they're the same thing,
      with Win7 simply having some different eye candy and some additional
      Microsoft brain damage and sloppy thinking.
    • Rod Mollise
      Message 2 of 6 , May 13, 2009
        IOW...

        Worked fine...?

        Thanks for the info...please, though, let's remember to keep this focused on
        the DSI, not on MS going forward. ;-)

        Peace,
        Rod Mollise
        Rod's new book:
        _Choosing and Using a New CAT_
        Available Now!

        <http://skywatch.brainiac.com/astroland>

        Message 3 of 6 , May 13, 2009
          --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Mollise" <rmollise@...> wrote:

          > IOW...
          >
          > Worked fine...?
          >
          > Thanks for the info...please, though, let's remember to keep this
          > focused on the DSI, not on MS going forward. ;-)

          No problemo!

          I just had to vent a wee bit about some of the "changes" which are
          ill-conceived IMO.

          Seriously, though, I have not used Envisage before and I'd like to
          test it a bit before I blow Win7 away. The fact Envisage started and
          presented its initial screen is good (esp. on a 64-bit system).

          So if anyone has some files and instructions for what to do with them
          within Envisage, I'd be happy to test it/them out and report back here. FWIW, I only have a Meade LPI (came free with my LX200GPS).

          I'd also like to know whether the fact the Meade PL-2303 USB-to-serial
          driver doesn't appear in Device Manager is normal or not. All my
          systems have real serial (RS-232) ports so I've never installed that
          driver before.

          If anyone else wants to test the free Win7 Release Candidate with
          their Meade systems and software, lemme know and I'll post the URL.
          You'll first need to setup a free account with Microsoft. Note, also,
          the ISO download for 32-bits is 2.4GB and the 64-bit ISO is 3.1GB.
        • Rod Mollise
          Message 4 of 6 , May 13, 2009
            Hi Thad:

            Well, image test files really won't help too much with Envisage. It's a
            camera control program, and without a camera to use with it, I don't know
            how meaningful your testing will be. Image processing is done with another
            program/module that is part of the "suite," "Autostar IP" (and the
            planetarium program is the third leg, "Epoch 2000"). Used DSIs (the original
            color version) are cheap used, and useful for a variety of purposes.

            Message 5 of 6 , May 13, 2009
              --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Mollise" <rmollise@...> wrote:

              > Hi Thad:
              >
              > Well, image test files really won't help too much with Envisage. It's
              > a camera control program, and without a camera to use with it, I don't
              > know how meaningful your testing will be. Image processing is done
              > with another program/module that is part of the "suite," "Autostar IP"
              > (and the planetarium program is the third leg, "Epoch 2000"). Used
              > DSIs (the original color version) are cheap used, and useful for a
              > variety of purposes.

              Thank you!

              Is there a Yahoo Envisage-specific group? The only group I found using
              "envisage" in Yahoo's Groups Home is "Meade-DSI-Advanced". Just now
              looking at the (public) most-recent 100 or so messages there shows the
              focus (no pun) is on DSI hardware issues (e.g., lamp glow, etc.) even
              though "Envisage" appears in that groups' header.
            • Rod Mollise
              Message 6 of 6 , May 13, 2009
                Yes, it's "Autostar Suite." Well, it's for all things DSI related, but
                there's naturally plenty about Envisage there...very good group.