Meade MT-SN8

  • dougritt
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2008
      I just moved to St. Louis and the movers broke the tube mount castings
      on my Meade MT-SN8 Schmidt-Newtonian 8" (the parts that attach the OTA
      to the fork mount pivots). I obtained some similar castings from a
      MT-SN6 that I am hoping to adapt to the scope. Here's the problem: I
      am trying to remove the tube mount castings and I discover that the
      screws have internal nuts (freewheeling, not T-nuts)...so do the
      screws on the Schmidt lens! These nuts make it difficult to
      disassemble the tube; the nuts just turn inside the tube as I turn the
      screws! How did Meade build this scope and what is the best way to
      disassemble/reassemble the OTA? HELP!

      Doug
    • John Mahony
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2008
        > I just moved to St. Louis and the movers broke the tube mount castings
        > on my Meade MT-SN8 Schmidt-Newtonian 8" (the parts that attach the OTA
        > to the fork mount pivots). I obtained some similar castings from a
        > MT-SN6 that I am hoping to adapt to the scope. Here's the problem: I
        > am trying to remove the tube mount castings and I discover that the
        > screws have internal nuts (freewheeling, not T-nuts)...so do the
        > screws on the Schmidt lens!

        Which screws are you loosening for the Schmidt plate? On SCTs, to remove the Schmidt corrector, you remove just the retaining ring in front of it, not the whole front cell. I suspect the SN is similar.

        There's usually an index mark on the edge of the corrector, and a matching mark on the inside edge of the cell. Pay attention to that, so you can replace the corrector in the same rotational orientation.

        There are 3 old SN6s on a mount similar to the one shown on the group page (I think that's the mount you have?) gathering dust at an old (now light polluted) public observatory nearby, but since no one ever uses them, I've never looked that closely at them.

        -John

        > These nuts make it difficult to
        > disassemble the tube; the nuts just turn inside the tube as I turn the
        > screws! How did Meade build this scope and what is the best way to
        > disassemble/reassemble the OTA? HELP!
        >
        > Doug
      • Doug Ritterling
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2008
          Thanks John -

          I'll check this over the weekend. I have been working on the SN8 down in the
          dark basement. I'll bring it upstairs so I can see what's going on. It's
          time to go into the light!