Re: Meade etx 80 or Etx 90

  • manand1967
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2007
      Thanks ,

      By the way , what does Myski or skyscout does. I do not understand
      them as yet.

      Pls share some experience. Also how can they replace a scope.

      regrads

      --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Entwistle"
      <richard@...> wrote:

      > Andy,
      >
      > I would suggest you save your money for something more useful.
      Your
      > 102 refractor is already a good size, but small for DSOs, but
      either
      > ETX will be worse. Your comment on "...to watch DSO , with
      occasional
      > peep at planets from Dark sites" is back to front. The ETX is
      better
      > at planets, and not best for DSO.
      >
      > Buy some good binoculars and maybe a MySky or Skyscout instead?
      >
      > If you really want DSOs on the cheap, get a dob as many note. Best
      > visual bang for buck but not my choice. I would buy a bigger
      > refractor or Mak.
      >
      > Good luck.
      >
      > Richard
      > Hong Kong
      > ETX-125, SV90TBV
      >

      > --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "manand1967" <manand67@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Group ,
      > >
      > > I am deciding on to having either of these scopes. Prime
      > > considerations are :
      > >
      > > 1.)Portability & especially as carry on scope on plane
      > > 2.)Tight Budget , since already have Nexstar celestron 102
      > Refractor
      > > & Two 10x50 bino & a 20x80 bino & my better half is going to be
      > > fussy about another investment.
      > > 3.)Primary objective is for quick grab & go scope preferably Go
      > to ,
      > > to watch DSO , with occasional peep at planets from Dark sites.
      > > 4.) New ETX 80 is available for 249 including shipping , while
      used
      > > etx 90 is available with 884 tripod , 26mm jap piece , plastice
      > > case , ac adapter , home made focuser for 350 including shipping.
      > >
      > > I would really appreciate your help , keeping in mind budget ,
      > quick
      > > grab & go with focus on dso.
      > >
      > > Thanks n Regards
      > >
      > > Andy

    • Kim Miau Lee
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2007
        Andy, I think your Nextar 102 can serve you quite well for both DSO and
        planets. To further improve the views, you need to get something bigger.
        With 90mm scope, it's hardly to see quite a lot of bright DSO. I can only
        recall Great Orion Nebula (Please let me know more, I am still a newbie :)
        ).

        By the way, do you think your nextar 102 is portable? For me, my 8" LX90 is
        quite portable while it's in its pelican case.

        Regards.

        --
        -Robin Lee
        Pioneer & 2007 President of CHHS Astronomy Club

      • Richard Entwistle
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2007
          Hi Andy,

          The Meade MySky and Celestron Skyscout do not replace any telescopes.
          I thought your interest in the ETX70/80 might have been for the GOTO
          facility. If so, the MySky and Skyscout are hand-held GPS-enabled
          devices that you point at something in the sky and they tell you what
          it is! So you can use one with your perfectly good refractor to move
          around the sky. A little expensive perhaps, but many folk love them.
          Best for introducing people to the sky and astronomy.

          Check the Meade and Celestron websites for info.

          Best regards,
          Richard
          Hong Kong
          ETX-125, SV90T