Meade LX50 and Magellan II controller hung....

  • tomclancy80
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2007
      My friend has brought me his LX50 with a Magellan II controller to
      fix.... The LED light on the panel goes through the correct sequence
      according to what I have read but the controller only displays a row
      of black squares on the first row of the display.

      It started doing this after he left the scope turned on for about a
      month while he was away. The batteries leaked naturally. I cleaned
      up the battery housing and underneath it behind the panel. The
      circuit behind the panel is okay.

      Any Suggestions?
    • tomclancy80
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 2007
        --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "tomclancy80" <tc80@...> wrote:

        > My friend has brought me his LX50 with a Magellan II controller to
        > fix.... The LED light on the panel goes through the correct sequence
        > according to what I have read but the controller only displays a row
        > of black squares on the first row of the display.
        >
        > It started doing this after he left the scope turned on for about a
        > month while he was away. The batteries leaked naturally. I cleaned
        > up the battery housing and underneath it behind the panel. The
        > circuit behind the panel is okay.
        >
        > Any Suggestions?

        PS. I've found out from him that the Magellan II was version 2.1 if
        that helps.
      • Andy Eskelson
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 1, 2007
          I've never seen the innards of the controller you mention, but the general process for such cases:

          I would guess that battery electrolyte will have got into all sorts of places (I assume you mean alkaline battery's - if so they should NOT leak if they are good quality)

          You will need to take everything apart and give it a complete clean. This will mean washing, flushing with water many times, then with pure water, and drying.
          That MIGHT recover things. You have to be very very careful of any displays as the seals and contacts are easily damaged.

          If there are any controls to vary the display contrast that could be a source of the problem, if electrolyte has got into any preset controls, then they will prob. need replacing.

          Give everything a very very careful eyeball first, you might have missed a small spot of gunk, and just cleaning that may work.

          Do all the normal checks to leads etc.
          Hope you get things working.

          Andy

          On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 18:34:15 -0000
          "tomclancy80" <tc80@...> wrote:

          > --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "tomclancy80" <tc80@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > My friend has brought me his LX50 with a Magellan II controller to
          > > fix.... The LED light on the panel goes through the correct sequence
          > > according to what I have read but the controller only displays a row
          > > of black squares on the first row of the display.
          > >
          > > It started doing this after he left the scope turned on for about a
          > > month while he was away. The batteries leaked naturally. I cleaned
          > > up the battery housing and underneath it behind the panel. The
          > > circuit behind the panel is okay.
          > >
          > > Any Suggestions?
          > >

          > PS. I've found out from him that the Magellan II was version 2.1 if
          > that helps.

        • John Mahony
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 1, 2007
            --- tomclancy80 <tc80@...> wrote:

            > --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "tomclancy80" <tc80@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > My friend has brought me his LX50 with a Magellan II controller to
            > > fix.... The LED light on the panel goes through the correct sequence
            > > according to what I have read but the controller only displays a row
            > > of black squares on the first row of the display.
            > >
            > > It started doing this after he left the scope turned on for about a
            > > month while he was away. The batteries leaked naturally. I cleaned
            > > up the battery housing and underneath it behind the panel. The
            > > circuit behind the panel is okay.
            > >
            > > Any Suggestions?
            >

            > PS. I've found out from him that the Magellan II was version 2.1 if
            > that helps.

            The last version was 2.5, and I think it's still available on Meade's site.
            They finally fixed the "find" feature in the last revision, which was the main
            selling point of the $600 Mag II vs the $300 Mag I! But I don't think it will
            let you upgrade until you get the current one working.

            I'd ask on the LX50 group (or even the Meade_Starfinder group, which also used
            the Mag II). I'm not sure if too many people here even remember the Magellan.

            -John

            Need a vacation? Get great deals
            to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
            http://travel.yahoo.com/
          • John Mahony
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 1, 2007
              --- Andy Eskelson <andyyahoo@...> wrote:

              > I've never seen the innards of the controller you mention, but the general
              > process for such cases:
              >
              > I would guess that battery electrolyte will have got into all sorts of places
              > (I assume you mean alkaline battery's - if so they should NOT leak if they
              > are good quality)
              >
              > You will need to take everything apart and give it a complete clean. This
              > will mean washing, flushing with water many times, then with pure water, and
              > drying.
              > That MIGHT recover things. You have to be very very careful of any displays
              > as the seals and contacts are easily damaged.
              >
              > If there are any controls to vary the display contrast that could be a source
              > of the problem, if electrolyte has got into any preset controls, then they
              > will prob. need replacing.

              The batteries are in the scope's RA motor box, not the keypad. There are
              circuit boards in each, so the circuit board inside the scope might have been
              affected by leaking batteries, but the keypad should be OK.

              We often use our Starfinder without the keypad, for basic tracking. Does this
              scope track OK without the keypad attached?

              -John

              > Give everything a very very careful eyeball first, you might have missed a
              > small spot of gunk, and just cleaning that may work.
              >
              > Do all the normal checks to leads etc.
              > Hope you get things working.
              >
              > Andy
              >

              > On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 18:34:15 -0000
              > "tomclancy80" <tc80@...> wrote:
              >
              > > --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "tomclancy80" <tc80@...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > My friend has brought me his LX50 with a Magellan II controller to
              > > > fix.... The LED light on the panel goes through the correct sequence
              > > > according to what I have read but the controller only displays a row
              > > > of black squares on the first row of the display.
              > > >
              > > > It started doing this after he left the scope turned on for about a
              > > > month while he was away. The batteries leaked naturally. I cleaned
              > > > up the battery housing and underneath it behind the panel. The
              > > > circuit behind the panel is okay.
              > > >
              > > > Any Suggestions?
              > > >

              > > PS. I've found out from him that the Magellan II was version 2.1 if
              > > that helps.
              > >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • tomclancy80
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 2, 2007
                --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "tomclancy80" <tc80@...> wrote:

                > My friend has brought me his LX50 with a Magellan II controller to
                > fix.... The LED light on the panel goes through the correct sequence
                > according to what I have read but the controller only displays a row
                > of black squares on the first row of the display.
                >
                > It started doing this after he left the scope turned on for about a
                > month while he was away. The batteries leaked naturally. I cleaned
                > up the battery housing and underneath it behind the panel. The
                > circuit behind the panel is okay.
                >
                > Any Suggestions?

                I found out further that he had the RS232 cable connected to the port
                in the bottom of the Magellan II. He is sure that the laptop was
                turned off while he was away.

                I am wondering if the controller was left in some weird state as the
                power died because it sensed the attached cable.

                Does anyone know if there is a keypad sequence for the controller on
                powerup to get it to look for a software update like 2.5 or maybe
                reset the controller back to factory default?
              • John Mahony
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 2, 2007
                  From <http://www.meade.com/catalog/MagII/Magrev.html>:

                  "6. Connect the serial cable from the P.C. to the Magellan II handbox serial
                  connector (the one closest to the top of the handbox). While pressing both the
                  NEXT and ENTER keys on the Magellan handbox, turn on the power switch. The
                  Magellan display should now read;
                  FLASH LOAD
                  READY"

                  Of course you'll want to read that full page and do the first 5 steps first, or
                  you'll only make things worse. v2.5 is still available from that same page.
                  Familiarity with DOS will help.

                  As I recall, when doing the update, there's one minor discrepancy between the
                  instructions and reality: the instructions says to type the command "upgrade"
                  at the DOS prompt to start the upload to the handbox, but that doesn't work.
                  Check the file names in the zipped folder you download, and one is obviously
                  the main update program- the others are data. Just type the name of the
                  program (maybe with "run" in front- I don't recall exactly).

                  -John

                  --- tomclancy80 <tc80@...> wrote:

                  > --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "tomclancy80" <tc80@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > My friend has brought me his LX50 with a Magellan II controller to
                  > > fix.... The LED light on the panel goes through the correct sequence
                  > > according to what I have read but the controller only displays a row
                  > > of black squares on the first row of the display.
                  > >
                  > > It started doing this after he left the scope turned on for about a
                  > > month while he was away. The batteries leaked naturally. I cleaned
                  > > up the battery housing and underneath it behind the panel. The
                  > > circuit behind the panel is okay.
                  > >
                  > > Any Suggestions?
                  > >

                  > I found out further that he had the RS232 cable connected to the port
                  > in the bottom of the Magellan II. He is sure that the laptop was
                  > turned off while he was away.
                  >
                  > I am wondering if the controller was left in some weird state as the
                  > power died because it sensed the attached cable.
                  >
                  > Does anyone know if there is a keypad sequence for the controller on
                  > powerup to get it to look for a software update like 2.5 or maybe
                  > reset the controller back to factory default?
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
                • autostaretx
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 2, 2007
                    --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, John Mahony <jmmahony@...> wrote:

                    > Familiarity with DOS will help.
                    >
                    > As I recall, when doing the update, there's one minor discrepancy
                    > between the instructions and reality: the instructions says to
                    > type the command "upgrade"
                    > at the DOS prompt to start the upload to the handbox, but that
                    > doesn't work.
                    > Check the file names in the zipped folder you download, and one
                    > is obviously the main update program- the others are data.
                    > Just type the name of the
                    > program (maybe with "run" in front- I don't recall exactly).

                    In the DOS command window, you do -not- need/want to type
                    the word "run". Just type the name of the program, but from
                    within the folder it's in.
                    So, assuming you unpacked the files in c:\Maggy
                    you'd start a command window (under Accessories, or by typing
                    "cmd" (if windows XP) in the Run... dialog slot), then

                    cd \maggy
                    programname <-- whatever it is

                    good luck
                    --dick
                  • tomclancy80
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 3, 2007
                      That was going to be my next step. I just need to get around to
                      getting the cables from him. We are hoping that the basic brain is
                      still alive in the controller despite the display only showing black
                      squares.