Re: New member with a new scope / It arrived

  • terpodion2001
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 1, 2007
      The Fed Ex man knocked on the door yesterday. He had an oblong box
      for me. Don't you love getting packages? I do too. But it kind of
      kills the joy when it is a telescope and I hear things jingling
      around as I'm opening it. Quick quiz: What's the worst thing that can
      come loose during shipment of a reflector telescope? Well it came
      loose. Why did It come loose? I have a theory.....

      First of all I paid dirt for this telescope. It lists for between
      $300 and $400 and I paid $110 including shipping, taxes, tags,
      tribute, bribes and freight. So I really didn't expect a gem. I knew
      from the git-go that it had "cosmetic" defects. It does. There are
      slight dents on the tube. No biggie. But what I didn't expect was to
      find the primary mirror rolling about loosely, bumping into every
      other part inside the tube as it was thrown overhand by Fed Ex people
      and jostled about in a truck / train / plane / donkey cart between
      Arizona and New Jersey. I'm assuming that the eBay seller of this
      scope got a deal on a lot of them. I'm also assuming that they were
      display models in stores like "Sharper Image" and this particular
      scope was dropped in assembly or knocked over by an ADHD 5 year old
      on a sugar high or some such thing. It was also
      assembled / "repaired" / disassembled by an employee with the
      mechanical skills of a blind lowlands gorilla with a pint of
      Everclear in him. I theorize that the primary mirror was knocked out
      of it's mount by some impact. Perhaps a micro meteor or the
      aforementioned ADHD 5 year old but more likely a teenage employee who
      lost control of the tube while attempting to assemble it. Finding
      that something had become dislodged, said pimple-faced employee
      removed the mount and discovered the primary mirror loose. The clamps
      with rubber bushings that hold the mirror to the ABS plastic mount
      had torn loose, stripping the threads thus making any attempt to
      tighten them futile. What to do what to do!?!? Duck it! yes that old
      standby of rednecks, and mall employees everywhere; Duct tape! A
      couple strips of approximately half inch width ripped from the roll
      and wrapped around clamps, mirror and mount and good as new! Complete
      with big smudgy thumb prints on the mirror. Alas, however such a
      repair could not stand up to the rigors of cross country shipment by
      even such a stellar firm as Fed Ex. I have to wonder if Tom Hanks had
      had this scope on that island he could have used the mirror to signal
      passing ships or planes or at least have started a fire in a jiffy by
      using it to focus the sun. I doubt, however, that he would have been
      able to use it as a telescope.

      So I had a mount with stripped out screw holes. The primary, luckily,
      was only chipped on the back and the silvered face was only slightly
      scratched but the diagonal had serious gouges in the silvering. I am
      a bit perplexed about the original assembly. I found that the screw
      holes on the mount for the mirror clips are really sloppy. Almost as
      if done freehand without any guide whatsoever. It's not the kind of
      thing I would expect from a factory that churns out thousands of
      optical instruments. In any case, I chucked the original #4 screws,
      drilled new holes (very precisely, using a drill press, proportional
      dividers, digital calipers and a square) tapped them and fitted #6
      sheet metal screws that I trimmed to length with a die grinder.
      (remember I mentioned that I live in a shop full of tools?) The
      primary mirror is in there good now, real good. Oddly enough, as I
      examined the mirror mount, it was very similar to the plans I drew up
      for my abandoned 4" reflector except that I was going to machine it
      out of aluminum. (The Mead mirror mount was plastic.) That would have
      required an endmill and I don't have one. Perhaps I should look for
      one on eBay. Also, I discovered that 2 of the 4 holes on the tube -
      to - yolk mount were also stripped. I think the yolk is made of an
      alloy of zinc and other metals commonly called "pot metal." It's easy
      to strip, particularly for a 15 year old pimple faced kid who can't
      remember 'righty tighty- lefty loosey' so; More modified # 6 sheet
      metal screws and some of God's greatest gift to Man; Locktite.

      After all these repairs, the alignment was nowhere near right. It
      took some time to get everything to line up. Things were bent. I bent
      them back. Luckily nothing snapped. Collimation, schmolnination. Have
      you ever been in an autobody shop and seen a "frame machine"? It's
      like that. Somehow I made it all line up enough to be functional and
      trained it upon the heavens. As grace would have it the electronic
      tripod adjustment tyhingymabbober works pretty good. Way better than
      the piece of old fecal matter refractor that my mom and dad drove
      hours over dirt roads to get me for Christmas in 1968 from the Edmund
      Scientific Company nestled in the pines of Sicklerville, South Jersey
      (refractor / reflector? Huh???? Dad painted houses, mom waited
      tables, neither graduated high school, bless their hearts) Sometimes
      even polished crap is better than just plain crap. The moon looked
      pretty good through this thing.

      So what next? I'm going to challenge the eBay company that sold me
      this thing. As far as I can tell, they sell a lot of telescopes. I'm
      going to tell them about the whole debacle and I'm assuming that they
      didn't know about the stripped screws and duct tape. I'll ask them to
      send me new mirrors and it's very likely they will just send me a new
      scope as it will cost them more to order new mirrors from Meade than
      a whole new/display model scope from some mall store.

      I'll keep you posted.

      Good seeing:

      Carl
    • David Nagel
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 1, 2007
        Come on Carl tell us how you really feel. Don't hold back now, let it out.
        I know the feeling. I have gotten good deals on eBay that turned out to be unusable also. Just not this bad.
        Looking forward to reports on the repairs.

        Dave Nagel

        terpodion2001 <trackelect2@...> wrote: The Fed Ex man knocked on the door yesterday. He had an oblong box

      • Jerry
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 2, 2007
          Carl,
          There have been LOTS of reports about these trash
          scopes in the last couple of weeks in almost every
          group I belong to that has anything to do with Meade
          DS series scopes. NO one, however has given up the
          name of the offending Ebayer selling them.
          Care to name this individual so we know who to watch
          out for?
          On a side note I happen to know where a 114mm
          parabolic primary can be had very cheaply on EBay, I
          got one myself and it is very nice.
          Jerry in Arizona

          Need Mail bonding?
        • terpodion2001
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 2, 2007
            --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, Jerry <crazyj1251@...> wrote:

            > Carl,
            > There have been LOTS of reports about these trash
            > scopes in the last couple of weeks in almost every
            > group I belong to that has anything to do with Meade
            > DS series scopes. NO one, however has given up the
            > name of the offending Ebayer selling them.
            > Care to name this individual so we know who to watch
            > out for?

            In all fairness I have to give the seller a chance to make good on this
            before I slander them. I haven't contacted them yet. I'm busy,
            unfortunately work sometimes gets in the way of my leasure activities.

            Cheers:

            Carl
          • Mike Morris
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 2, 2007
              Jerry:

              I do not know where Carl got his scope from.

              Telescope Warehouse is advertising the DS2130EC for $79.95 on E-Bay,
              link enclosed.

              <http://stores.ebay.com/Telescope-Warehouse>

              However, this morning I also found two private sellers with
              DS2130AT's for sale on E-Bay. This scope could have come from a
              private seller.

              Mike Morris

              wrote:

              > Carl,
              > There have been LOTS of reports about these trash
              > scopes in the last couple of weeks in almost every
              > group I belong to that has anything to do with Meade
              > DS series scopes. NO one, however has given up the
              > name of the offending Ebayer selling them.
              > Care to name this individual so we know who to watch
              > out for?
              > On a side note I happen to know where a 114mm
              > parabolic primary can be had very cheaply on EBay, I
              > got one myself and it is very nice.
              > Jerry in Arizona

            • Jerry
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 3, 2007
                Mike,
                I have ordered many things from Bill Vorce at
                Telescope Warehouse and have never received bad
                products from him. He does sell scratch and dents but
                always lets the customer know and he checks every
                scope to be sure it is in better than factory
                condition.
                Also he packs his merchandise so it is UPS proof.
                One other point, he is located in Nevada not Arizona
                so I already knew he was not the EBayer in question.
                I have also heard that someone may have bought a
                quantity of his stock that was not checked and is
                selling what he would call rejects as good scopes.
                I do not know that for sure as I can't confirm it.
                DS2130 scopes, while they have some problems that are
                addressable can be very satisfying pieces of equipment
                and great for a beginner.
                But, it really frosts me when someone sells trash
                deliberately and turns people off to astronomy
                entirely because of it.
                People should be warned about this individual.
                Jerry in Arizona

                --- Mike Morris <mandcmorris@...> wrote:

                > Jerry:
                >
                > I do not know where Carl got his scope from.
                >
                > Telescope Warehouse is advertising the DS2130EC for
                > $79.95 on E-Bay,
                > link enclosed.
                >
                > <http://stores.ebay.com/Telescope-Warehouse>
                >
                > However, this morning I also found two private
                > sellers with
                > DS2130AT's for sale on E-Bay. This scope could have
                > come from a
                > private seller.
                >
                > Mike Morris
                >
                > --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, Jerry
                > <crazyj1251@...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Carl,
                > > There have been LOTS of reports about these trash
                > > scopes in the last couple of weeks in almost every
                > > group I belong to that has anything to do with
                > Meade
                > > DS series scopes. NO one, however has given up the
                > > name of the offending Ebayer selling them.
                > > Care to name this individual so we know who to
                > watch
                > > out for?
                > > On a side note I happen to know where a 114mm
                > > parabolic primary can be had very cheaply on EBay,
                > > got one myself and it is very nice.
                > > Jerry in Arizona

                Never miss an email again!
              • Mike Morris
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 3, 2007
                  I have never ordered anything from Telescope Warehouse. In this case
                  there is no evidence that this scope came from them.

                  I have also never ordered anything from E-Bay. Although, someday I
                  expect that I will probably find something I want and take the plunge.
                  My main concern with E-Bay is although you can get a good deal, you
                  can also get something that may be worth less than what you paid.

                  In this case, I hope that this circumstance gets resolved to Carl's
                  satisfaction.

                  To get back to Telescopes, I hope the skies are clear for the Lunar
                  Eclipse Tonight. My last photo of a Lunar Eclipse was disappointing.

                  Mike Morris

                • trackelect2@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 3, 2007
                    Hi:

                    I contacted the seller. He's very cooperative and told me that the duct tape
                    was his idea to prevent just such a thing from happening. Hmm. He said that
                    he has had trouble with damage in shipping. Well in any case he says he's
                    shipping me new mirrors. I'll let you know when they come (hopefully in
                    unmolested condition) if it is Telescope Warehouse or not.

                    On a side note the eclipse was very disappointing here in the geographic
                    center of NJ. The cloud cover allowed only occasional glimpses.

                    Good seeing:

                    Carl
                    http://www.aol.com

                  • terpodion2001
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 5, 2007
                      Bill Vorce of The Telescope Wearhouse has not only sent me new mirrors
                      but threw in the mounts too, so you can end the conjecture about from
                      whom I bought this scope. Also they are in Meadview, Az.

                      Of course now that I have an optically whole instrument it's going to
                      be cloudy for at least a week.

                      Good seeing:

                      Carl
                    • daniela daniela
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 5, 2007
                        I knew they were in AZ and I have had great experiences with Bill Vorce and
                        so have other people, so, I was confident this was going to be solved for
                        the best.
                        PS Thanks to Mike for the DS yahoo discussion group link
                        Daniela