My Meade 2045

  • moonunit1002002
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 1, 2006
      Hi all!
      I have a Meade 2045 and I'm thinking about upgrading it to something a
      little bigger. I don't know whether it is worth my while selling it or
      if I should hold onto it. Does anybody know the value of this old
      Meade? I'm thinking if I'm only going to get £100-£150, I might as well
      keep it but if it's worth much more I could use the cash to go towards
      my new scope.

      Thanks guys,

      Moon
    • Rick Saunders
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 1, 2006
        I had a 2045 a long time ago.... nice little scope. Pull it off the fork arm
        and use it as a guide-scope; could do worse.

        Rick

        On Sunday 01 October 2006 10:35 am, moonunit1002002 wrote:
        > Hi all!
        > I have a Meade 2045 and I'm thinking about upgrading it to something a
        > little bigger. I don't know whether it is worth my while selling it or
        > if I should hold onto it. Does anybody know the value of this old
        > Meade? I'm thinking if I'm only going to get £100-£150, I might as well
        > keep it but if it's worth much more I could use the cash to go towards
        > my new scope.
        >
        > Thanks guys,
        >
        > Moon
      • Rod Mollise
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 2, 2006
          Hi:

          You might get that much, but...if it's a decent performer, as some of them
          are, you might find that holding onto it for use when you don't feel like
          dragging out a larger scope is a better idea.

          Peace,
          Rod Mollise
          Author of:
          Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope
          and
          The Urban Astronomer's Guide
          <http://skywatch.brainiac.com/astroland>

          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 2, 2006
            --- Mike Morris <mandcmorris@...> wrote:

            > There is a 4504 discussion group. However, after visiting the site, I
            > am not certain how you join the group.

            Just click the "Join this group" icon near upper right, as with any other
            yahoogroup.

            > If you want to sell, you might
            > start there. The link is below.

            > I have a DS114 which in essence in the same scope on a motorized
            > mount.

            No, the 2045 is a 4" SCT Meade made many years ago. Very different from the
            many 4.5" Newtonians they've sold.

            -John

            > I would suggest that you keep the scope also. Good luck
            > whichever way you go.
            >
            > Mike Morris
            > Loganville, GA

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Hulett
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 2, 2006
              Hi Moon,
              Most likely you will end up keeping it. Look at Meades Outlet
              Store on Ebay USA. They have those and similar ones all the time.
              That will pretty much tell you what yours is worth. Good Luck either
              way!
              Hulett

              --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "moonunit1002002"
              <moonunit100@...> wrote:

              > Hi all!
              > I have a Meade 2045 and I'm thinking about upgrading it to
              something a
              > little bigger. I don't know whether it is worth my while selling it
              or
              > if I should hold onto it. Does anybody know the value of this old
              > Meade? I'm thinking if I'm only going to get £100-£150, I might as
              well
              > keep it but if it's worth much more I could use the cash to go
              towards
              > my new scope.
              >
              > Thanks guys,
              >
              > Moon

            • John Mahony
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 2, 2006
                --- Hulett <gapnavigator@...> wrote:

                > Hi Moon,
                > Most likely you will end up keeping it. Look at Meades Outlet
                > Store on Ebay USA. They have those and similar ones all the time.

                The 2045 is a 4" SCT, discontinued about a decade ago, so you won't find any on
                the Meade outlet. The closest modern scope might possibly be the etx 90 or
                105, but those are Maks, usually on a computerized mount.

                -John

                > That will pretty much tell you what yours is worth. Good Luck either
                > way!
                > Hulett
                >

                > --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "moonunit1002002"
                > <moonunit100@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi all!
                > > I have a Meade 2045 and I'm thinking about upgrading it to
                > something a
                > > little bigger. I don't know whether it is worth my while selling it
                > or
                > > if I should hold onto it. Does anybody know the value of this old
                > > Meade? I'm thinking if I'm only going to get £100-£150, I might as
                > well
                > > keep it but if it's worth much more I could use the cash to go
                > towards
                > > my new scope.
                > >
                > > Thanks guys,
                > >
                > > Moon
                > >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Hulett
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 2, 2006
                  I would think that the DSX 90 would be pretty close, but is a 494 mak
                  as you say, but they do come up pretty often at the outlet. I still
                  think keeping it may be Moon's best value. JMO.
                  Thanks,
                  Hulett

                  --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, John Mahony <jmmahony@...>
                  wrote:

                  > --- Hulett <gapnavigator@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Hi Moon,
                  > > Most likely you will end up keeping it. Look at Meades Outlet
                  > > Store on Ebay USA. They have those and similar ones all the time.
                  >
                  > The 2045 is a 4" SCT, discontinued about a decade ago, so you won't
                  find any on
                  > the Meade outlet. The closest modern scope might possibly be the
                  etx 90 or
                  > 105, but those are Maks, usually on a computerized mount.
                  >
                  > -John

                • moonunit1002002
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 3, 2006
                    Thanks for all the answers guys, I'll think I'll end up keeping this
                    one as a spare after all then!
                    All the best,
                    moon

                    <moonunit100@...> wrote:

                    > Hi all!
                    > I have a Meade 2045 and I'm thinking about upgrading it to
                    something a
                    > little bigger. I don't know whether it is worth my while selling it
                    or
                    > if I should hold onto it. Does anybody know the value of this old
                    > Meade? I'm thinking if I'm only going to get £100-£150, I might as
                    well
                    > keep it but if it's worth much more I could use the cash to go
                    towards
                    > my new scope.
                    >
                    > Thanks guys,
                    >
                    > Moon

                  • Mike Morris
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 3, 2006
                      John:

                      Thank for the feedback. I realized my error and deleted the message
                      as soon as I saw that it had been posted. Evendentially I did not do
                      this soon enough. Again my apologies for confusing the 2045 with the
                      4504.

                      Mike Morris

                      wrote:

                      > --- Mike Morris <mandcmorris@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > There is a 4504 discussion group. However, after visiting the
                      site, I
                      > > am not certain how you join the group.
                      >
                      > Just click the "Join this group" icon near upper right, as with
                      any other
                      > yahoogroup.
                      >
                      > > If you want to sell, you might
                      > > start there. The link is below.

                      > > I have a DS114 which in essence in the same scope on a motorized
                      > > mount.
                      >
                      > No, the 2045 is a 4" SCT Meade made many years ago. Very
                      different from the
                      > many 4.5" Newtonians they've sold.
                      >
                      > -John
                      >

                      > > I would suggest that you keep the scope also. Good luck
                      > > whichever way you go.
                      > >
                      > > Mike Morris
                      > > Loganville, GA

                      > http://mail.yahoo.com

                    • Travis Whitlow
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 3, 2006
                        Just for fun, there's a writeup on Cloudy Nights by a guy who did a C-
                        scan on a 2045. It's at:

                        http://www.cloudynights.com/documents/ctscan.pdf

                        --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Morris"
                        <mandcmorris@...> wrote:

                        > John:
                        >
                        > Thank for the feedback. I realized my error and deleted the
                        message
                        > as soon as I saw that it had been posted. Evendentially I did not
                        do
                        > this soon enough. Again my apologies for confusing the 2045 with
                        the
                        > 4504.
                        >
                        > Mike Morris
                        >
                        > --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, John Mahony <jmmahony@>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > --- Mike Morris <mandcmorris@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > There is a 4504 discussion group. However, after visiting the
                        > site, I
                        > > > am not certain how you join the group.
                        > >
                        > > Just click the "Join this group" icon near upper right, as with
                        > any other
                        > > yahoogroup.
                        > >
                        > > > If you want to sell, you might
                        > > > start there. The link is below.

                        > > > I have a DS114 which in essence in the same scope on a
                        motorized
                        > > > mount.
                        > >
                        > > No, the 2045 is a 4" SCT Meade made many years ago. Very
                        > different from the
                        > > many 4.5" Newtonians they've sold.
                        > >
                        > > -John
                        > >

                        > > > I would suggest that you keep the scope also. Good luck
                        > > > whichever way you go.
                        > > >
                        > > > Mike Morris
                        > > > Loganville, GA

                        > > http://mail.yahoo.com

                      • David Nagel
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 3, 2006
                          Travis;

                          This is great. It should be referenced when ever a new question about how the Meade telescopes work. All the SC scope users can benifit from looking at this report.

                          Dave Nagel
                          LX200 GPS SMT UHTC 10"

                          <mandcmorris@...> wrote:

                          > John:
                          >
                          > Thank for the feedback. I realized my error and deleted the
                          message
                          > as soon as I saw that it had been posted. Evendentially I did not
                          do
                          > this soon enough. Again my apologies for confusing the 2045 with
                          the
                          > 4504.
                          >
                          > Mike Morris
                          >
                          > --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, John Mahony <jmmahony@>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > --- Mike Morris <mandcmorris@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > There is a 4504 discussion group. However, after visiting the
                          > site, I
                          > > > am not certain how you join the group.
                          > >
                          > > Just click the "Join this group" icon near upper right, as with
                          > any other
                          > > yahoogroup.
                          > >
                          > > > If you want to sell, you might
                          > > > start there. The link is below.

                          > > > I have a DS114 which in essence in the same scope on a
                          motorized
                          > > > mount.
                          > >
                          > > No, the 2045 is a 4" SCT Meade made many years ago. Very
                          > different from the
                          > > many 4.5" Newtonians they've sold.
                          > >
                          > > -John
                          > >

                          > > > I would suggest that you keep the scope also. Good luck
                          > > > whichever way you go.
                          > > >
                          > > > Mike Morris
                          > > > Loganville, GA

                          > > http://mail.yahoo.com

                        • moonunit1002002
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 11, 2010
                            Hi,
                            I have a Meade 2045 telescope that I haven't used for a while. I have never had much success with it but that may be because I don't really know what I'm looking at!
                            I'm not sure whether to give it another try or sell it and buy a larger scope or just sell it and give up!
                            Does anyone here know how much it is worth?
                          • Rod Mollise
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 11, 2010
                              100 - 200 at best. This is not a very sought after telescope.

                              Peace,
                              Rod Mollise
                              Rod's new book:
                              _Choosing and Using a New CAT_
                              Time to waste? Waste it with Uncle Rod's Astro Blog:

                              http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 21, 2010
                                Hi,

                                I too have a Meade 2045, 4 inch SCT with the LX3 drive. Bought it some 25 years ago. To give you a perspective of its worth. A new Celestron NexStar 4SE SLT, 4 inch Maksutov, which most people will consider superior to the 2045 SCT's optics, on an advanced computerized goto mount currently costs $500 or a Celestron NexStar 127 SLT, 5 inch Maksutov on an entry level goto mount goes for $550.

                                Frankly, I would not sell the scope. For $200 you can buy a Meade DS2000 goto azimuth mount for your Meade and have a highly portable, goto telescope. An even better goto mount, if you can find it in the USA, is the SkyWatcher SynScan AZ goto mount sold in Europe (it is different than the one sold in with the SkyChariot in the USA).

                                Without a goto mount, finding objects with the Meade 2045 SCT is difficult because of its small finder scope. I never did understand why telescope designers don't understand that the requirements for a finder scope are independent by and large of the aperture of the primary telescope, at least for the majority of scopes sold. I can see more with my eyeball than through the finder on the 2045 .... its a glorified rifle site at best. I simply use a pair of binoculars to locate an object the slowly sneak up on it with the 2045.

                                My 2045 has gone through several evolutions and I still use it very frequently. For many frustrating years I attempted star hopping using the dual fork mount it came with (you need the patience of Job), a couple years ago, I attached my 2045 to a Meade DS2000 goto mount which is a match made in heaven as the combination looks sharp and works even better, I sometimes attach my 2045 to a Celestron CG5(iOtron goto drive) as a camera scope (experimenting with this), and I keep it stored on my desk in its original fork mount configuration as my moment of opportunity grab and go scope (terrestrial objects as well as celestial). It is far more valuable to me than the $150 to $200 I could get selling it. Besides, as far as I know, you can't buy a new 4 inch SCT anywhere anymore.

                                The other great aspect regarding the 102 mm Meade 2045 SCT is that the whole thing ...... telescope, mount, table tripod, eyepieces, etc. .... easily fits in a carry-on bag should you want to travel aboard airplanes with your telescope ..... not many scopes around that have this capability. In this regard, the 102 mm Meade 2045 SCT lives up to Meade's orginial advertising scheme as "a Portable Observatory" for its baby CAT ... or to steal a phrase from Rod ... its little kitten. If you set it up in the equatorial configuration and take care to accurately polar align the scope, its tracking ability is excellent.

                                The one attribute about my Meade 2045 SCT is that it is difficult to collimate. For years, I thought I was a klutz until I purchased a larger CAT (Celestron C6S). That's when I learned, it wasn't me but the telescope. The Celestron C6S is far much easier to collimate than the Meade 2045. The 2045 requires a very light touch on the collimating screws or you zip right by and overcorrect.

                                The other attibute of the 2045 is its small 102 mm aperture does limit what you can see, at least what you can see with any details. This attribute really makes it better suited as a secondary telescope than as a primary telescope.

                                Hope this helps you somehow.

                                Joe