Warranty response time

  • Skip Bradley
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1 4:36 AM
      On 26 July, I contacted Meade concerning warranty replacement of my
      2114's 'dead' 494 handbox. The CSR/Tech requested I fax the receipt along
      with a description of the problem and my contact information.

      Almost a week has passed and I have yet to hear from them, and I'm
      wondering what their 'normal' warranty response time is and if there
      are further steps I could take.

      I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

      Thanks.

      ToledoSkip
    • John Mahony
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 2 10:07 PM
        I'd call them again. Meade's customer service is notoriously "clunky" (first
        good decriptive word that sounded accurate), but if you keep at them they
        usually get the problem straightened out eventually. But if you wait for them
        to get moving on their own, I suspect you could be in for a loooonnnng wait.

        -John

        --- Skip Bradley <plantman@...> wrote:

        > On 26 July, I contacted Meade concerning warranty replacement of my
        > 2114's 'dead' 494 handbox. The CSR/Tech requested I fax the receipt along
        > with a description of the problem and my contact information.
        >
        > Almost a week has passed and I have yet to hear from them, and I'm
        > wondering what their 'normal' warranty response time is and if there
        > are further steps I could take.
        >
        > I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > ToledoSkip
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • autostaretx
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 2 11:03 PM
          Meade now has an **online** method of submitting trouble
          tickets, etc. Some folks have gotten very fast (2 hr
          turnaround) response.

          http://meade.com/helpdesk/

          good luck
          --dick
        • Skip Bradley
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 3 2:35 PM
            Thank you for the link. I re-faxed my letter the other day and still
            no response. Hopefully, this will 'do the trick'. I hate to think I
            might have to return it to the store and try a different brand of
            telescope!

            Again, thanks for the help.

            --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@...>
            wrote:

            > Meade now has an **online** method of submitting trouble
            > tickets, etc. Some folks have gotten very fast (2 hr
            > turnaround) response.
            >
            > http://meade.com/helpdesk/
            >
            > good luck
            > --dick

          • andy jarvis
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 3 4:53 PM
              hi i am in the uk and have tried the internet ticket system and it looks like it sucks! 3 days and no response. it seems its easier to sell than to recieve any query or critisism. next scope will NOT be a meade! cheers

              Skip Bradley <plantman@...> wrote: Thank you for the link. I re-faxed my letter the other day and still

              wrote:

              > Meade now has an **online** method of submitting trouble
              > tickets, etc. Some folks have gotten very fast (2 hr
              > turnaround) response.
              >
              > http://meade.com/helpdesk/
              >
              > good luck
              > --dick

            • Gail K
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 3 9:06 PM
                I bought an ETX-90 from the Meade factory outlet and the finder bracket was
                damaged. I emailed them and I had a new bracket a few days later. No
                charge whatsoever. I was quite pleased.

                Gail

              • Hulett Keaton
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 3 9:39 PM
                  They have always been absolutely fantastic to me as well. I have called many times over the years and alway had prompt service.I can never remember having to pay them a dime for that service either...just shipping on occasion, which they made up in freebies.
                  Hulett

                  Gail K <racephoto@...> wrote: I bought an ETX-90 from the Meade factory outlet and the finder bracket was
                  damaged. I emailed them and I had a new bracket a few days later. No
                  charge whatsoever. I was quite pleased.

                  Gail

                  Hulett Keaton
                  Eagle Mountain, GA.

                • Skip Bradley
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 15 3:27 PM
                    Well, thanks to the 'helpdesk' tip from 'autostaretx' I got a new
                    handbox delivered via UPS today!

                    Now it appears as though the 'gears' may be stripped for the 'up/down'
                    control. I hear the motor, but no action. Tried tightening/loosening
                    but to no avail. Guess I'll fill out another trouble ticket!

                    (Should I expect more trouble from this DS-2114?)

                    --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "Skip Bradley" <plantman@...>
                    wrote:

                    > On 26 July, I contacted Meade concerning warranty replacement of my
                    > 2114's 'dead' 494 handbox. The CSR/Tech requested I fax the receipt
                    along
                    > with a description of the problem and my contact information.
                    >
                    > Almost a week has passed and I have yet to hear from them, and I'm
                    > wondering what their 'normal' warranty response time is and if there
                    > are further steps I could take.
                    >
                    > I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.
                    >
                    > Thanks.
                    >
                    > ToledoSkip

                  • autostaretx
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 15 4:33 PM
                      wrote:

                      > Well, thanks to the 'helpdesk' tip from 'autostaretx' I got a new
                      > handbox delivered via UPS today!
                      >
                      > Now it appears as though the 'gears' may be stripped for the 'up/down'
                      > control. I hear the motor, but no action. Tried tightening/loosening
                      > but to no avail. Guess I'll fill out another trouble ticket!

                      You might verify that the motor attachment ring "nut" hasn't loosened.
                      (actually, disengage and reengage it, making sure that the "dog"
                      mechanism is engaging properly).
                      If that doesn't help, you can open the gear box and -look-
                      it may be something simple.

                      > (Should I expect more trouble from this DS-2114?)
                      don't know...

                      good luck
                      --dick
                    • Skip Bradley
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 15 6:12 PM
                        Since it's still under warranty, I was hesitant about digging into it
                        too far. I did get the Altitude Lock Knob off and check the nut in the
                        rear of that. I don't have an exploded diagram of the parts, so not
                        sure how to get at the gear box or check the motor attachment nut.

                        wrote:

                        > --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "Skip Bradley" <plantman@>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Well, thanks to the 'helpdesk' tip from 'autostaretx' I got a new
                        > > handbox delivered via UPS today!
                        > >
                        > > Now it appears as though the 'gears' may be stripped for the 'up/down'
                        > > control. I hear the motor, but no action. Tried tightening/loosening
                        > > but to no avail. Guess I'll fill out another trouble ticket!
                        >
                        > You might verify that the motor attachment ring "nut" hasn't loosened.
                        > (actually, disengage and reengage it, making sure that the "dog"
                        > mechanism is engaging properly).
                        > If that doesn't help, you can open the gear box and -look-
                        > it may be something simple.
                        >
                        > > (Should I expect more trouble from this DS-2114?)
                        > don't know...
                        >
                        > good luck
                        > --dick

                      • autostaretx
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 15 10:40 PM
                          wrote:

                          > Since it's still under warranty, I was hesitant about digging
                          > into it too far. I did get the Altitude Lock Knob off and check
                          > the nut in the rear of that. I don't have an exploded diagram
                          > of the parts, so not
                          > sure how to get at the gear box or check the motor attachment nut.

                          Whooops.... my error... despite your tag line:
                          > > > (Should I expect more trouble from this DS-2114?)

                          somehow i thought you had an older DS, or 4504 or 114EQ-DH model
                          (all of which have external, detachable, motor units).

                          my suggest/hint does not apply to your model.

                          sorry 'bout that...
                          --dick
                        • Skip Bradley
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 16 7:03 AM
                            No problem Dick. I've used the 'online help desk' again and we'll see
                            what solution they come up with.
                            Again, thanks.