Some advice needed

  • chitownbarb
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2006
      I will be getting my new scope this week a used Meade DS2130ST with
      goto. I want to get some filters and eyepieces for it but need some
      advice as to which filters/eyepieces are good. I saw on ebay at

      http://cgi.ebay.com/PLANETS-MOON-SET-6-TELESCOPE-EYEPIECE-FILTERS-
      QUALITY_W0QQitemZ7614103575QQcategoryZ29954QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

      from Owl but do not know if these are good or not. I have been reading
      about them but really don't know what to look for.

      Help!!
    • Mike Morris
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3, 2006
        Filters are a matter or individual preference. You may find that
        you prefer different filters than I do.

        The set you referenced on E-Bay has 6 filters a #12 Medium Yellow, a
        # 21 Orange, a #23A Light Red, a #56 Green, a # 80A Medium Blue, and
        a Moon Filter. I have not purchased anything from Owl, and as a
        result I do not know about the quality of what they sell.

        The Astronomics Internet Site list a set of 4 Meade Filters,#12,
        23A, 58,and 80A for $49.95 plus shipping. Individual filters cost
        approxiamteyl $15 each. As a result 6 filters from Astronomics
        would cost approximately $80 plus shipping. Other companies sell
        similar filters at a similar price.

        This is the address Meade Filters on the Astronomics Internet site.
        http://www.astronomics.com/main/Meade_eyepiece_filter_sets.asp/catalo
        g_name/Astronomics/category_name/T2M5HDGHJXCQ9LTCDEPK8F6867/Page/1

        I currently have 8 filters, a Meade Moon Filter #ND96, #8 Light
        Yellow, #12 Medium Yellow, #21 Orange, #23A Light Red, #56 Green
        Filter, #80A Medium Blue, and #82A Light Blue Filter.

        The Meade Moon Filter #ND96, should be similar to but a little
        darker than Owl's Moon Filter. However, your scope is smaller than
        my 8", and you may find that the moon filter makes the moon too
        dark. If that is the case, try the #80A Medium Blue to look at the
        moon. You may also try the Moon Filter or a #80A to look at Venus.

        I use the #21 Orange filter to look at Mars. I have also used the
        #21 filter to look at Saturn and Jupiter, but prefer the #12 Medium
        Yellow, #8 Light Yellow, or a #82A Light Blue for Saturn and
        Jupiter. On occasion I will use the #80A Medium Blue Filter to
        observe Mars, Saturn, and Jupiter.

        I very seldom use the #23A Light Red Filter and the #56 Green
        Filter.

        Another option, that I have not tried but have read some favorable
        reviews of is a Planetary Contrast Filter. This link will take you
        to Sirius Optics Internet site. http://www.siriusoptics.com/

        A planetary contrast filter will cost between $60 and $80 plus
        shipping.

        Lots of information about filters can be found on Mike Weasner's
        internet site located at the following address.
        http://www.weasner.com/etx/filters.html

        A lot of money can be spent on filters, so I would encourage you to
        start slow. I used a DS 2114 for 5 years, for the fist two years I
        only had two filters, #80A Medium Blue, and #82A Light Blue Filter.

        Mike Weasner has a lot of information on Meade ETX and Meade DS
        Series Telescopes on this web site.
        http://www.weasner.com/etx/menu.html

        There is also a DS Series Telescope Discussion Group on Yahoo.

        Best Wishes,
        Mike Morris,
        Loganville GA