2120

  • sotiredofitall2003
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2006
      Happy New Year to all, just curious among the discussions of GoTo
      electronics, anyone out there own and still operate a Meade #2120 10"
      SCT from the early '80's? Or was I the only one to buy one back
      then? This first generation SCT, I believe, has clock drive, setting
      circles and ...well that's it. Mine still works for me, but the
      amusing thing is at the star parties, I feel like I'm part of a museum
      the way everyone looks at my set up. Brian from Pa.
    • Bob
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2006
        Hi Brian.....
        I just ( 2 weeks ago) gave my 2120 10" SCT to the Boy Scout Camp in
        Columbus, Ohio.....It was just like NEW....a fine scope I used since
        1987....I purchased a 14" and built an observatory for it...My 2120
        was a LX5 with Tuthill Digital Setting Circles...
        It still was a GREAT Scope and I wanted it to be used and not just
        stay in the storage trunk.....

        Bob

        --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "sotiredofitall2003"

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2006
          --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <bbrannon@c...> wrote:
          Thanks Bob, I didn't think they were half bad scopes myself. I'm
          sure by now the optics are improved, and the GoTo technology makes
          them attractive. I still like the simplicity of mine, and hopefully
          the scouts will appreciate your donation. That was a great thing to
          do, good luck with the 14"! Brian >

          > Hi Brian.....
          > I just ( 2 weeks ago) gave my 2120 10" SCT to the Boy Scout Camp
          in
          > Columbus, Ohio.....It was just like NEW....a fine scope I used
          since
          > 1987....I purchased a 14" and built an observatory for it...My
          2120
          > was a LX5 with Tuthill Digital Setting Circles...
          > It still was a GREAT Scope and I wanted it to be used and not just
          > stay in the storage trunk.....
          >
          > Bob
          >

          > --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "sotiredofitall2003"
          > <sotiredofitall2003@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Happy New Year to all, just curious among the discussions of
          GoTo
          > > electronics, anyone out there own and still operate a Meade
          > 10"
          > > SCT from the early '80's? Or was I the only one to buy one back
          > > then? This first generation SCT, I believe, has clock drive,
          > setting
          > > circles and ...well that's it. Mine still works for me, but the
          > > amusing thing is at the star parties, I feel like I'm part of a
          > museum
          > > the way everyone looks at my set up. Brian from Pa.

        • Tony Miller
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2006
            Aye, Bob and Brian, the Scouts surely do appreciate it.

            I'm expecting to be up at camp with Bob's generously-given LX5 and
            Scout personnel in the next couple of weeks to help make sure Bob's
            plan for the scope's legacy is exactly what happens -- it gets used
            extensively in the Camp's astronomy program.

            Thanks again, Bob, and Clear Skies for 2006.

            Tony M
            central OH