Texas McGuffin's

  • mary.mcguffin
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 28, 2008
      I'm searching the "Texas" McGuffin's. My grandfather was John Hugh
      McGuffin, [b. Texas,26 Jul 1859], [d. Texas,6 Jun 1939], married to
      Addie Lee Cowey.

      John Hugh's dad was William Bronaugh McGuffin, [b. Texas, 1 Nov 1839],
      [d. Texas 26 Feb 1919], married to Rosanna Davis, [23 Feb 1858] in
      Gonzales, Texas. 1850 census shows William (11yrs old), Elizabeth
      (14yrs old) and Hugh (8yrs old) all living with Hugh McGuffin (70)
      years old. It's possible for these children to belong to Hugh but it's
      also possible that they were his grandchildren or nieces and nephnew's.

      A page from the "Early history of Grimes County" shows application for
      land by William McGuffin and wife Maryanna and states they were natives
      of Ireland. There was no date on the application but his patent was
      dated November 12, 1832 and at the time of application he was twenty-
      four years old and his wife, was seventeen. That would have made this
      William born around 1808 and thirty one (31) years old when William
      Bronaugh was born. Although there were no mention of children to
      William and Maryanna, it is a possiblity that the three children
      living with Hugh in the 1850 census could have been William and
      Maryanna's and not Hugh's.

      If anyone has information on these families, please email me or answer
      this post. Thanks, Mary McGuffin
    • sheila church
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 28, 2008
        Hi Mary,
        I will pass this on to a couple of more dedicated researchers in my family.
        In the meantime I will dig out our family tree info.

[...]

        Shortcut URL to this page:
        http://www.onelist.com/community/McGuffinGenealogy

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Mary McGuffin
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 31, 2008
          Sheila, I think I just sent you a half finished email.  Sorry if I did.  What I was saying is,  Hugh (b.1780 d. 1869) was married to Jane Jenny Ford (b.1780 d. 1822).  After that he supposedly married Delphia Earle (b.1815 d. 1836).  Delphia could have been Elizabeth's mother (if so, she must have died in childbirth because the date of her death and the date of Elizabeth's birth are the same).  Now if Elizabeth, William and Hugh who were living with Hugh (b 1780) in 1850 are brothers and sister, who was William and Hugh's mother?  They were born after Delphia died and 1780 Hugh would have been 62yrs old.  Crazy mixed up mess isn't it?  That's why I love doing genealogy.  Thanks again,  Mary