Top 10 Standard Rhetorical Fallacies of Young Earth Creationism

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2006
      This is a draft version. I'm still working on this. I like the
      current order, but it is subject to change, I'm open to suggestions
      on ordering changes (but note that certains ones naturally follow the
      immediately preceding). Also, you'll note that there are actually
      only nine items in this list. When I sat down to write these down,
      these nine came to me immediately. It's so close to 10, I knew right
      away that I had the makings of a "Top 10" list. But I'm missing one,
      and I'm looking for suggestions.

      (Please also note, carefully, that these are general word game tricks
      that young earth creationists use frequently in their rhetoric, and
      NOT specific pseudoscience arguments. For example, even if the moon
      recession argument was the most popular specific pseudoscience
      argument made by young earth creationists, it would not belong on
      this list.)

      Here's what I have so far...

      Top 10 Standard Rhetorical Fallacies of Young Earth Creationism

      1. There is no empirical evidence of the world having existed longer
      than 10,000 years.

      2. This is an argument about scientific interpretation
      (uniformitarianism), not an argument about the facts.

      3. How do you know what happened back then? Were you there?

      4. Geology is an evolutionist conspiracy.

      5. Astronomy is an evolutionist conspiracy.

      6. Evolution is an atheist conspiracy.

      7. Evolution is a religion, not science.

      8. People accept evolution (and geology and astronomy which are part
      of the evolutionist conspiracy) to support atheism.

      9. God just made things appear to be old.