Andy Boshers on GBN/Highland!

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 13, 2006
      Andy Boshers recently called into question something David P. Brown wrote to the ContendingFTF list. Following, in relevant part, is what David P. Brown wrote:

      > To them (Highland/GBN among
      > others-RLBaty) the church is a
      > source of revenue from which
      > they will not be separated
      > without a fight.

      Following is Andy Bosher's post there about that, in relevant part:

      #########################

      ContendingFTF �� Contending For The Faith
      Message #3574 of 3575

      Re: Gossip, etc.

      > Please provide adequate
      > evidence that each of these
      > men (the elders at the four
      > congregations specified)
      > view the church as a source
      > of revenue.

      > I have never heard these men
      > accused of this before and
      > know little about them
      > personally.

      > They are being charged with
      > egregious specific sins in a
      > publicly broadcast message
      > on the internet.

      > For these charges to be above
      > the level of gossip, they must be
      > substantiated.

      > Andy Boshers

      ########################

      My further comments:

      It has come to appear to me that one of the best kept secrets involving fund-raising, revenue raising in the churches of Christ and their "integral agencies" is the use of old people who are asked to "sell their souls" to investors who, after putting up the money, sit back hoping those same old folks die sooner rather than later.

      The promotion alleges that it is a matter of all the money comes and nothing goes out. It doesn't cost anybody anything except for the investors. All the fund raisers/revenue raisers need are the warm bodies of insurable old folks and zappo; the money starts pouring in if they can sign them up.

      What a deal, huh?

      Anyway, in more official terms, here is how GBN/Highland folk promoted it on their website:

      ############################

      What Is the Charitable Income
      & Endowment Plan �� (CIEP)?

      The CIEP is a unique charitable giving program that utilizes a financed immediate annuity contract and a life insurance policy to create a donation to a qualified donor���s favorite charity. This can be achieved without any cost or liability to the donor or the benefiting charity.

      The donor must be insurable and have an established history of contributing money and/or time to the donor's selected charities.

      The CIEP is for interested, insurable, individuals, seventy to ninety years of age, and is provided through an independent, fully licensed agent for the benefit of GBN. Please contact Gary McDade (901-233-5597) for more detailed information.

      I've asked repeatedly about the promotion with no discussion or response.

      It does make me wonder what is going on with all of that.

      I can no longer find it on the GBN website.

      Did they realize they were at fault and get rid of the program without disclosing their error?

      Are they simply still promoting it "under cover"?

      How common is the program amongst the churches of Christ and their "integral agencies"?

      Carl Baugh tried the same sort of thing some time ago to raise funds for his museum down on the Paluxy and then pulled it, disclosing that it was, most likely, not legal.

      I have written Andy Boshers privately about this and hope he might pursue it and/or otherwise respond with his comments thereon.