Re: [M & B] Poor Pluto, caught in the middle (re: Kuiper Belt objects)

  • cassondrawrites@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 15, 2006
      Looks like people everywhere have difficulty in distinguishing between truth
      or fact and convenient fictions...you have to giggle at the idea of Pluto
      being irked at its possible demotion. By all means, we should retain Pluto as
      a planet! We would not want our solar system to lose any of the charm
      associated with the inclusion of the magical number NINE planets. We might lose
      interstellar tourism dollars...

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 16, 2006
        --- In Maury_and_Baty, Cassondra wrote (post #8003):
        > Looks like people everywhere have difficulty in distinguishing
        > between truth or fact and convenient fictions...you have to
        > giggle at the idea of Pluto being irked at its possible demotion.
        > By all means, we should retain Pluto as a planet! We would not
        > want our solar system to lose any of the charm associated with
        > the inclusion of the magical number NINE planets. We might lose
        > interstellar tourism dollars...

        Don't know yet if this is correct or not, but I'm hearing rumblings
        that soon the Solar System may officially be declared as having dozens
        of "planets." So looks like those interstellar tourism dollars are
        going to get spread a lot thinner! I wonder what the beaches on Titan
        are like.

        Chuckling,
        Todd Greene
      • mathewmaury
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 16, 2006
          These astro-scientists should mind their own business. Who
          do they think they are arbitrarily declaring there are now
          12 planets instead of 9 in the solar system? Who made them
          kings of space?

          Did they just now find these new hunks of rock? No! They
          have been there all along. So why are they exercising this
          Aristotelian obsession to recategorize existing space mass
          just now? Money!!! They milked the bogus 'life on Mars
          meteorite' until hardly anyone believes their so-called
          evidence. What else is new in space they can try to get
          public funds for? They looked around, found nothing, so
          decided to expand the number of planets by one-third! What
          was cold, dead rock is magically turned into exciting planet
          that requires money to explore and examine. Who knows what
          they can find with enough new money! Maybe there are purple
          women on Xerxes or striped men on Heron. They will not
          mention these possibilities this week, but will draw it out
          over the next year or two to try to get interest up. Look
          for articles in Nature, Nat Geo, Science, Sky & Tel, and
          other atheistic mags talking up the 'great opportunity' we
          now have to 'discover where we came from' by looking at
          these rocks now promoted to 'official planets'.

          It is a scam. All these astro-scientists should get a real
          job and quit taking money from the public under false
          pretenses.
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 17, 2006
            This is beautiful stuff, Mat! You should think of submitting this to
            The Onion. Or maybe the Landover Baptist site.

            By the way, don't be such a traditionalist. The "astro-scientists"
            gave us the 9 planets we have now in the first place. Before the
            astro-scientists, we had 7 planets, and some of these were
            different: Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, the Moon, and the
            Sun.

            - Todd

            --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com, "mathewmaury"