Oklahoma House passes ID-friendly bill?

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 10, 2006
      ##################

      Evolution bill stirs debate on origin of life, religion

      TIM TALLEY
      Associated Press

      (excerpts)

      OKLAHOMA CITY - While other states are backing away from teaching alternatives to evolution, the Oklahoma House passed a bill Thursday encouraging schools to expose students to alternative views about the origin of life.

      The measure, passed on a 77-10 vote, gives teachers the right to teach

      > "the full range of scientific
      > views on the biological or
      > chemical origins of life."

      Critics said the lessons would be more appropriate in religion or philosophy classes than in science class.

      They said the measure would take control from local school boards on developing lesson plans and violates the constitutional prohibition on government endorsement of specific religious views.

      "I think we're about to open a slippery slope here," said Rep. Danny Morgan, D-Prague.

      "We're going to be right back in the courthouse," Morgan said.

      The bill now goes to the state Senate, where similar legislation has been defeated in the past.

      (End of excerpts)

      ####################
      ####################

      My comments:

      The proposed law simply allows teachers to teach:

      > "the full range of scientific
      > views on the biological or
      > chemical origins of life."

      I thought the law, and school rules and regulations already allowed for that!

      If so, it hardly seems necessary to add such redundancy to the law.

      Of course, if it is another veiled attempt to get "intelligent design" into the science curriculum, then maybe it will be back to the courthouse (i.e., Dover-like) as Morgan opined.

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 10, 2006
        Various groups have already mounted opposition to the Oklahoma effort and have a petition drive set up.

        The following is a link to the petition site that has a link to the petition itself:
        http://www.biosurvey.ou.edu/oese/petition.html