The Anti "Clergy Letter Project" Project!

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3, 2006
      The "Clergy Letter Project" now has some opposition as shown below:

      ###################
      ###################

      http://www.pillarandsupport.org/

      Sign The Open Letter

      Welcome to the Pillar and Support Alliance

      The Alliance is made up of those leaders in the Church and their supporters who affirm their commitment to the Biblical view of Creation by signing the following

      Open Letter Concerning Christianity and Creation:

      -----------------------------

      As leaders in the Church we understand that within the community of Christians there is great diversity regarding our mode of worship and service to the Lord Jesus Christ.

      However there is a unity that binds us all, a unity unbroken since the days of His ascension.

      That unity, grounded in faith, hope, and love is preserved through sound doctrine concerning the Scriptures, the nature of God and His works in creation, the nature of man, and the Gospel.

      The 66 books of the Bible are the written Word of God, divinely inspired and inerrant throughout.

      Its assertions are factually true.

      It is the supreme authority, not only in all matters of faith and conduct, but in everything it teaches.

      Its authority is not limited to spiritual, religious or redemptive themes, but includes its assertions in such fields as history and science.

      The account of origins presented in Genesis is a simple but factual presentation of actual events and therefore provides a reliable framework for scientific research into the question of origin and history of life, mankind, the Earth and the universe.

      The scientific aspects of creation are important, but are secondary in importance to the proclamation of the Gospel of Jesus Christ as Sovereign, Creator, Redeemer and Judge.

      The doctrines of Creator and Creation cannot be divorced from the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

      The final guide to the interpretation of Scripture is Scripture itself. By definition, no apparent, perceived, or claimed evidence in any field, including history and chronology, can be valid if it contradicts the Scriptural record.

      Of primary importance is the fact that evidence is always subject to interpretation by fallible people who do not possess all information.

      We reject the view that knowledge and/or truth may be divided into "secular" and "religious" categories.

      This view is commonly used to evade the implications of the authority of Biblical teaching.

      We also reject the "gap" theory, the idea that the Noachian flood was local and not global in extent, and the idea that the six days of creation were geologic ages and not literal, 24-hour days.

      We commend the men and women engaged in the scientific disciplines who live by the truths expressed in this letter and serve God with all their mind, heart, soul, and strength as they work to understand the creation and take an active role in the dominion mandate through their discoveries.

      We urge parents to take primary responsibility to ensure that these truths are taught and reinforced through every part of their children���s education and to resist any attempts to undermine these truths.

      Therefore we the undersigned commit to diligently studying the Bible regarding the subject of Creation.

      We pledge to teach and preach to all people the works of God as creator and sustainer of the world, and underscore the connection between the wonderful Gospel of Jesus Christ and His authority and power as creator.

      We will do so publicly and without fear ��� whether in the church building, on the street, in the media, or in the chambers in the seats of government before executives, legislators, judges, and administrators.

      We will shine as lights through the confusing fog of religious opinions on this matter, and will encourage our fellow clergy to do the same.

      We exhort all Christians everywhere to follow our example as together we proclaim, "For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible���" (Col. 1:16a)

      ----------------------------

      Sign The Open Letter - For Church & Ministry Leadership - Those Encouraging Our Leaders

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3, 2006
        For those not familiar with the Clergy Letter Project, here is what it is all about:

        #######################
        #######################

        The Clergy Letter Project
        (excerpts)

        An Open Letter Concerning Religion and Science

        We the undersigned, Christian clergy from many different traditions, believe that the timeless truths of the Bible and the discoveries of modern science may comfortably coexist.

        We believe that the theory of evolution is a foundational scientific truth. . .

        To reject this truth or to treat it as ���one theory among others��� is to deliberately embrace scientific ignorance and transmit such ignorance to our children.

        We urge school board members to preserve the integrity of the science curriculum by affirming the teaching of the theory of evolution as a core component of human knowledge.

        Signatures: Over 10,000 to date!