Re: CDHealy on logic, NOT!

    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2006
      --- In Maury_and_Baty, Robert Baty wrote (post #7587):
      > While Todd S. Greene appears to be quite capable in his formal
      > logical analysis, it has been my observation that he doesn't
      > really like to get diverted into having to quibble about formal
      > logic matters.

      Hey Robert, I like your concise assessment. So true! I'm currently
      at the tail end of a particular program I'm writing (in C, rather
      than C++) that checks out certain settings in the Windows registry
      (of a Win32 operating system) and then writes certain settings into
      the registry for the purpose of establishing what is called an ODBC
      connection between a Visual Basic program (that I'm currently
      maintaining) and two different databases, one a Microsoft SQL Server
      database and the other an Eloquence database running on a Unix
      server. When I finish this particular program (which is actually a
      relatively short one), I'll make a copy of it available to see
      through the internet where people can take a look and see how well I
      can deal with logic. I do this stuff in my sleep, and I bow to few
      in the logic department - and you nailed it, my experience with
      young earth creationists is precisely that they use
      misrepresentation in the discussion of logic (but of course it look
      all "sophisticated") just as much as they use it elsewhere and it's
      still just word games. Quibbling on formal logic is oh-so-
      booorrrriiiinngg to me.

      Chuckling,
      Todd Greene
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 8, 2006
        Previously I wrote, "I'm currently at the tail end of a particular
        program I'm writing (in C, rather than C++) that checks out certain
        settings in the Windows registry (of a Win32 operating system) and
        then writes certain settings into the registry for the purpose of
        establishing what is called an ODBC connection between a Visual
        Basic program (that I'm currently maintaining) and two different
        databases, one a Microsoft SQL Server database and the other an
        Eloquence database running on a Unix server. When I finish this
        particular program (which is actually a relatively short one), I'll
        make a copy of it available to see through the internet where people
        can take a look and see how well I can deal with logic."

        The program is now finished, and I'm going to be putting it up for
        display on my "Programming notes" blog, along with some relevant
        discussion (that I haven't written yet) about the Windows Registry
        and what the program is doing and the Win32 API functions it's using
        to work on the Registry. This will be soon. The link to my
        programming blog is:

        http://programming-notes.blogspot.com/

        — Todd Greene
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 10, 2006
          --- In Maury_and_Baty, Todd S. Greene wrote:
          > The program is now finished, and I'm going to be putting it up for
          > display on my "Programming notes" blog, along with some relevant
          > discussion (that I haven't written yet) about the Windows Registry
          > and what the program is doing and the Win32 API functions it's using
          > to work on the Registry. This will be soon. The link to my
          > programming blog is:
          >
          > http://programming-notes.blogspot.com/

          Well, right now I just don't have the time to spend to write up a
          proper program description/discussion, but I've put up a brief
          description here instead, with links to the program source code, that
          anyone can check out (and no complex blog templating code involved, so
          WebTV should be able to handle the page with no problems):

          http://www.outersystem.us/programming/cfgODBCregistry.html

          In regard to logic in general, yes, I know I can handle it because my
          job requires me not only to deal with things analytically all the
          time, but the computer and the business processes dictate that the
          analytical processes I create work and do the job(s) they're supposed
          to do (and if they don't I have to fix them!). Thus, even though I
          almost never ever crow about my own capabilities in the logic
          department (in fact, I think this is the first time I've ever
          mentioned this), my personal opinion is that when it comes to
          creationists playing blustering obfuscating logic games I seriously
          don't have one single thing to worry about. ;-)

          — Todd Greene
          http://www.geocities.com/greeneto/
          http://rationalist-ruminations.blogspot.com/
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 10, 2006
            Todd, you wrote, in part:

            > (M)y personal opinion is that
            > when it comes to creationists
            > playing blustering obfuscating
            > logic games I seriously don't
            > have one single thing to worry
            > about.

            Well, I think the thing to worry about is getting the opposition to seriously confront the logical issues when they arise!

            We're still waiting for CDHealy to deal with his fallacy claim ("guilt by association" with reference to the Cliftyman) against you and to bring one or more of his logic students around to discuss what is going on in his logic class, in the context of evaluating the "Goliath of GRAS".

            They're still no shows around here!